26

I never imagined that one day my niece would be able to out-fight me. But now, watching her in training at only twelve, I know she'll be better than all of us combined.

"Counter strike! Combo! Keep your eyes on your opponent and your environment, be aware of everything all at once." Nat orders, preparing to shoot another nerf bullet at DJ as she spars with me.

"I am." She grunts out, blocking one of my punches that I let her block and throwing a kick I pretend to not see coming.

Even if I am taking it easy on her slightly, she still fights better than I ever did when I first began to learn at a much older age. Nat shoots the bullet at her, and a frustrated shout leaves DJ's mouth when the nerf bullet hits her shoulder.

"Obviously not." Romanoff deadpans, and an amused look tugs onto my face.

I throw another combo at DJ, this one a bit harder to block. I can see the anger beginning to pool in her eyes, the way frustration claims her face. Immediately my amusement flees. I grow deadly serious, but don't stop sparring.

"Keep your control, DJ" I remind, but I watch as she loses that very thing.

"I'm trying" she practically growls out, her punches growing sloppier and her concentration diverting.

"You control it, it doesn't control you" I urge, throwing a kick her way only for my leg to freeze in mid-air.

I snap my gaze to my niece, watching her hands raised in concentration as she uses the blood in my leg to control it. I only have a moment to gasp as DJ shoves her hands back and sends me flying into the matted floor fifteen feet away. I stand up slowly, an excited smile growing on my face just as it does Nat and DJ.

"You know what that was?" I ask, jogging back over to her excitedly. DJ laughs and runs up to me, hugging me tightly. The sound is so rare nowadays from her that it bursts warmth in my chest.

"Control!" She responds.

"Yeah, it would've been great had you not been too dead to do it," Natasha calls out, walking to the two of us, "I shot you like four times, kid"

"Give her a break, Miss Romanoff, will ya? She's the toughest girl I know"

The three of us snap our gazes over to see Max and Hunter walking into the training facility. Yet another rare smile breaks onto DJ's face as she walks over to her best friend.

"Tough enough to knock you out, Hunt" she taunts, giving him and Max a quick hug.

"No you can't" Hunter replies quickly, his boyish pride hurt. Max only snickers.

"Yeah she could," Max responds, ruffling his brothers hair, "You and all your other seventh grade friends"

Hunter grumbles something about embarrassing him before turning to greet Natasha and I who watch on with amused faces.

"Hi Miss Beckett, Miss Romanoff," he greets.

"Hey kiddo," I call back, offering him and Mac a wave.

"You want to get some training in, boys? It'll be fun" Nat offers.

"Oh jeez, look at the time! We better be going!" Max suddenly exclaims, looking at an imaginary watch on his wrist. Before he can look for another escape though, Hunter gives him an easy out.

"Sorry ladies, but DJ and I have a library to hit up" Hunter announces. The relief on his brother's face is immediate.

"That's right, I gotta take them to the library" He announces, making me chuckle.

"Sure thing, have fun you guys" I call out to them.

"Oh I don't like books, they're not fun to me. I'm just the support system" Hunter calls out to us as the three walk out.