Chapter 75

Kol's plan was brilliant.

She'd never say this in front of Klaus because she wasn't sure he could handle knowing the truth, but she genuinely believed Kol to be the smartest of the Mikaelsons. She was thankful to have a brother-in-law who was so good at solving problems in a rational way. Becoming a witch had helped him think about everything so much more logically than he would have as a vampire.

"This is what we're going to do," said Kol once Freya went down to where Aurora's body was being kept to remove some strands of her hair. "Freya and I will stay here performing a spell to make an illusion of Aurora. The rest of you will go to the exchange. We are going to assume Tristan has the Serratura with him. That will be the key to trapping him."

"Just checking," said Damon, who wanted to make sure his part was right, "you want me to go find someone, turn them, but not let them transition?"

Kol assented. "Precisely. The Serratura creates a boundary no one living or dead can cross. However, someone in transition is technically not living... and not dead. We need an actual body to carry out the illusion of Aurora. That will have to do. Pick someone with acting skills if you can."

Damon snorted. "Yeah, there will definitely be some crappy actor or actress I can use for this in the prisons I'll be searching."

"Just remember to hurry," said Freya. "We need this done as soon as possible."

Damon nodded, then sped off with Enzo, who would be accompanying him. "The rest of you, be ready," said Kol. "This may end in a fight."

While Kol and Freya got started on their spell (with Liv and Jo offering input) everyone else started to gather weapons, which Alaric had let them bring with them. Maddy slipped on one of the sleeves with mini-stakes that would be released when she punched. It made her smile, remembering the first time she'd seen a weapon like this. Way back when they had a plan to kill Katherine at the Masquerade Ball. She had long since died, as had Nadia. Though Maddy still disliked her, she hoped she might one day find peace.

The others chose a variety of different hidden stakes and pistols that would fire wooden bullets, tucking them into their belts or jackets and concealing them well. The Originals were the only ones not getting any weapons. They were lethal enough.

"Ready for this?" asked Klaus once the group was waiting in the doorway for Enzo and Damon to be back with their person in transition for the spell.

"Ready as I can be," said Maddy, glancing up at the balcony, where she could see Elena carrying both Anita and Hope to her room. Given she was the youngest of all the vampires present, it was better she stay and watch the girls. They'd try to convince Caroline to stay, but she refused to when Tyler was going, which was better for them since they had one more vampire to help them, but also worrisome because Caroline truly did not stand a chance if a fight broke out. The witches would be too occupied with their spell to help them from afar. "If it doesn't work... we kill him."

Klaus took her hand, as if solidifying that promise. "You needn't come if you don't wish to."

"If everyone else is risking their life, so will I."

"Our daughter needs at least one parent."

"She needs both parents. And the only way we can ensure she has that is if we work together to get this done as efficiently as possible. I'm not backing down. We have a whole village here helping us. We're gonna defeat Tristan today. And, if a fight breaks out, then we'll kill as many of The Strix as we need to."

"I'd prefer it not come to that," muttered Klaus. "However, if it does, then... we will persevere. Stay close to me, whatever happens."

Damon and Enzo arrived not long after, with a dead body slung over the younger Salvatore's shoulder. They carried the man (apparently some unsuccessful D-List actor who had been arrested for fighting in a bar) to the witches, who did a quick spell to wake him up sooner. He was quite happy to play the role, given they promised him a great deal of money as well as the chance to be turned. Maddy knew they'd likely just kill him when his part was done. She didn't care to feel bad for him.