Chapter 0.2

You warmed up to them in the two hours of intense reviewing of the last lesson, and the not so sporadic pauses and breaks you made, getting to know a little bit of each other.

Thoma, who looked like a bad guy with his tight black t-shirt and trousers, his brown boots and especially his chain hanging at the neck with one of those military badges, was actually a super nice and easygoing man, with "the only problem being his hard simping for Ayaka", as Yoimiya said. Not that you had any idea of who this Ayaka was. Another friend of them, you supposed.

Saying Gorou surprised you is belittling. He looked like a puppy, despite being older than you, with those round and big turquoise eyes and that thing of his to pout so often and being flustered even more, tugging to his oversized hoodie that matched his eye's color. But he actually was super serious, focusing so much that he had his eyebrows always frowned. And more importantly, he was the soldier one. Well, not really, he just attempted the military academy for two years, and that explained the age gap, but he was always one of the bests of the entire academy. You didn't inquire on the reason why he left despite being so good. Maybe one day you would have found out.

Yoimiya revealed herself to be exactly who you expected her to be: basically, another Hu Tao. And you loved that, there's never enough Hu Tao magic, the more the marrier. It didn't surprise you how deep the bond between the two girls was, after just a couple of months. Hu Tao even gifted a butterfly necklace to Yoimiya, and the blonde girl said she always wears it. You found it extremely cute, especially considering the love Hu Tao has for butterflies and how she calls every close friend of her "my cute little butterfly".

Kazuha seemed to be Gorou's best friend, being able to make him beam and sparkle with just a smile or a couple of words. And you soon understood why. The white-haired boy, with a red highlight on his right side, was such a pleasant presence. His low and calming voice making you forget all of your problems and almost being able to make you drift from reality and daydream about wonderful natural views. And not only his way of talking was magical, but he even knew his way with words pretty well. Gorou mentioned his poems and poetry, and though Kazuha was too flustered to acknowledge his talent or let you hear something, suddenly you understood why everything the boy said sounded so poetical.

You thought he and Fishl would have deep conversations about all that beautiful, yet to you unknown, stuff. Your friend was taking literature classes and was so fond of books that she doubled the number of stories you read in your entire life in only a week. Not that it didn't show, sometimes she was so caught up in reading to barely sleep, causing her to gain terrible dark circles and to talk a little bit too classy and old style like her books. When that happened, no one couldn't even grasp the meaning of half her sentences.

The only person at that table that day you didn't get to know at all was Scaramouche. Honestly, you didn't even know why he was there. Through the whole study session, he didn't speak once nor listened to one of you. He was just studying by himself. From time to time, you felt his judging gaze on you, making you feel uncomfortable and a bit too self-conscious. Fortunately, there was never a moment of silence, so your attention always drifted from him. He continued writing and highlighting even when the 6 of you were chatting, occasionally sighting letting you know you were disturbing him. But no one really cared.

When you said it was time for a snack break, asking everyone what they wanted, he didn't lift his eyes from the papers, ignoring you. Rude, you found him rude and childish. But that had to be all just a façade, and you wanted to see thought it, you wanted to see his true colors. It was not possible that he was only what he appeared to be. After all, no one is. In fact, it made you smile hearing him following you and Thoma to the cafeteria right after not even answering your question. You and the blonde guy where basically buying everything from the vending machine, all sort of snacks and energy drinks, when Scaramouche ordered a black coffee from the drink machine next to you. Thoma shook his head with a smile after eyeing the guy, and you silently agreed with his thoughts: so childish. Scaramouche didn't look at you, like you both were strangers, and left with his sad black coffee off to his notes once again.