CHAPTER 9

CHAPTER 9

Sarah groaned in annoyance. Her head was pounding, and a sound in the background made her crankier.

She wanted to sleep. A peaceful sleep. But it was nowhere near her. Tossing the covers aside she sat up. While she massaged her head, she heard the sound again. It was door-bell followed by loud thuds on the door. She checked the time and it was six in the morning. She had slept for five hours. It was enough for her to function for the day ahead.

Door bell rang again. Sighing loudly and stretching a bit, she got up. As she walked swards the door, her steps halted. An unfamiliar fear was taking hold of her senses. Even though deep down she knew she was safe, yet she couldn't shake the feeling off.

Taking in deep breaths, she reached the door but didn't open it. She looked through peep-hole. Her body sagged in relief, but it was short livid. She was now livid. The person behind the door was the last person she was expecting.

Sarah opened the door, and glared at her boss. "What are you doing here?"

"Hi, neighbor. Do you have sugar?" Chris gave her a cheeky grin. His eyes twinkled with mischief.

Sarah took into his appearance. He was wearing black joggers and loose fitted Grey sweatshirt. His hair uncombed mess.

Sarah straightened when Chris leaned against the door jamb. Sarah rubbed her eyes, and she stiffened instantly. She was now more aware of his presence. Her sleepy brain was registering everything around her. A faint blush appeared on her cheeks when she looked down at her body. Although her clothes were decent, she wasn't feeling comfortable.

"Sugar, honey?" Chris spoke, his voice low. Sarah hardened her resolve and squinted her eyes at him. "Any sweeter would do? Do you have any?"

"I do. But I don't think you're here for that. I bet your kitchen is fully stoked."

"Ouch! Seems like someone hasn't had their caffeine yet. And no, my lichen is a mess. My house keeper doesn't do grocery shopping for me. I do that and I keep forgetting buying it."

Sarah rolled her eyes at him. She knew he was talking nonsense, but she didn't have the energy to argue with him.

"Stay here." She glared at him.

"Yes, ma'am." He nodded.

Sarah grabbed the sugar jar from kitchen counter and went to the door. Chris was still leaning against the door jamb. She extended the jar in his direction. At a leisure speed, he grabbed it and scanned it.

"You can keep the jar, boss. It'd last you months." Her voice patronizing. Chris didn't take the offense. Instead his grin widened.

"A month? What if I ate all of it today?" he asked.

Sarah imagined strangling him. He was getting on her nerves.

"Then I guess you'll make your dentist a fortune." She shrugged.

"Smart answer."

"Why do I feel like this... borrowing kitchen stuff will be a norm."

"Kitchen stuff? Nah! I'll be borrowing all sorts of house stuff, neighbor."

Chris straighted as he was about to walk back to his adjoining penthouse.

"Wait," Sarah called. "How did you know I lived here?"

"I didn't. I knew you lived in this building. I just came here to borrow sugar from my neighbor. By the way, are you related to him."

"Err... I... um... well, boss. You're prying. Where I live is my business." She scowled at him. He could fire her, and she knew but. But her irritation was growing with this man. They didn't have very nice first impressions. When they met first, they fought. Insulted each other. Well... she insulted him. Because he was an egoistical jerk and she couldn't stand his attitude. She calmed herself. Perhaps he didn't recognizing her. Had he known who she was, she wouldn't have gotten the job.

"I get it. You're not a morning person. Well I'll keep that in mind next time. No promises though." He backed away.

"And Sarah?" She looked at him.

"What?"

"You looked beautiful, yesterday."

With a genuine smile on his face, he walked back, and Sarah gaped at him speechless. She hadn't expected a genuine compliment from him. All the irritation that she felt for waking her so early, melted away. A deep calmness washed over her senses. She hadn't felt that way her whole life. It was terrifying yet exciting. It seemed forbidden yet worth the risk.

Sarah shook her head to clear her mind. She shouldn't think like this. He was her boss, so she should remember her boundaries.

***

Sarah had reached the office half an hour before the office time to avoid bumping into Chris. She didn't want a repeat of yesterday. She didn't want to share another car ride with him.

At ten, Chris entered the building. Not that she was looking for him specifically, but his loud voice was hard to miss. The slacking employees hurried off to their desks and pretended to be engross in their work.

"I know nobody was working . So don't pretend and save some energy. I want all the reports on my desk by 4."

Glancing briefly in her direction he went inside his office. Crystal followed him after waving in her direction. Sarah waved back.

Sarah was sketching on her notebook when someone sat across her. Crystal had pissed off expression on her face.

"I don't understand what's wrong with him today."

"Who?" Sarah asked even through she knew what she was talking about.

"My brother. Or should I say my boss? He is meaner today. I'm not going to do any work today."

"You should quit then," Ashlyn said, sitting on the other chair.

"I did. Remember?"

"Yeah. And then you came back here as if nothing happened."

"Ash! You know I felt sorry for him."

"You and your big heart. Well... had he been meaner to me, I would have kicked his ass."

"Haa! I can do that. No. Not can. I. Will. Do. That."

Ashlyn and Crystal giggled, and Sarah also couldn't hide her smile. She imagined petite Crystal kicking her brother."

They chatted for a while. Sarah was saying something when she went silent. Her gaze fixed at the person who just came out of the elevator.

Crystal and Ash turned to see that what got Sarah's attention. They also had shock written on her face. Stella just walked in, and with confident strides she entered Chris's office without knocking.

"What is she doing here? I am going to sue her." Ashlyn seethed.

Sarah's body went rigid as she remembered what had happened last night. This woman tried to sabotage Sarah and Ashlyn's career.

Crystal's cellphone rang. It was Chris. He called all the three ladies inside his office.

"Guess we are about to find out," Sarah replied Ashlyn.