Chapter Thirty Three

LYRA
________

It didn't take too long for my Wolf to locate him. He was resting in the woods, overlooking a waterfall. He seemed lost deep in thoughts. The second my eyes landed on him, I charged towards him and gritted my teeth.

"Lyr, what are you doing?" he asked when he noticed me and stepped back slightly.

'I am stronger than I look, Jaxon.' I told him through the mind-link.

"Okay?" he responded, confused.

'You are going to answer me honestly, or you will be joining your family in hell.'

Jaxon raised his eyebrows in shock and remained completely still at my words.

"You aren't perhaps doubting me right now, are you?"

'You will be answering my questions not the other way around.'

Jaxon laughed humourlessly. "You can't be serious, Lyr."

'Did you know that your family lied about their title? Gabriel? Alpha? Bullshit!'

The boy who had been my best friend for years, inhaled a sharp breath.

"Will you believe me if I tell you that I had no idea?"

I snarled loudly, exposing my canines. 'You lived under the same roof. How could you not know!'

Jaxon narrowed his eyes at me. "What my family did to you is unforgivable and frankly, I am glad they are dead, but how can you even for a second doubt me?"

My Wolf wanted to kill him, but I saw the pain in my best friend's eyes. When my mother had passed away, he had remained with me every second.

'Jaxon, be honest with me. What they did to me, to my parents, you really weren't aware?'

"I can promise you, I had no idea. We have always been good friends," my best friend continued. "Maybe they kept me out of the loop because I would ruin the plan— and I would have. I wouldn't have let them do this to you if I had known. Believe me, Lyr."

The boy spoke so fast, there was so much anger in his voice.

'They killed my parents. Your father and brother tore my family apart.'

I watched as his eyes turned glossy, his expression turned to one that I had never seen before. He seemed torn.

When Jaxon dropped to his knees, I was left stunned. The boy covered his face with his hands, and I watched as he sobbed soundly.

The scene before me made me fall back in to a tree and I shifted back to my human form. I found a dress in a nearby wooden dresser, and slipped it on.

I was grateful for whoever had employed the scattered wooden dressers across the land. It made shifting more comfortable.

When my eyes landed back on Jaxon, I realised he had calmed down but remained with his gaze on the ground.

"If you want to kill me to get back at what my family did to you, go ahead," he said, coldly.

He looked like life had been sucked out of him. I had been mad at him for what his family had done to me, but I couldn't imagine what it had done to him.

My eyes narrowed at him. "Jaxon."

"How do I live on knowing they did that to you?" he asked, raising his head to glance at me. "Just kill me, already."