[7] The Worst Is Yet To Come

YN was sitting outside the hospital room when the other men arrived, a solemn look on her feminine features. She had her teeth gnawing at her fingernails, a foot tapping quickly against the lino floor of the hospital hall. 

Bucky sat down gently by her, careful not to startle her too harshly from her daze. She turned to him slowly, her bottom lip wobbling as her eyes filled with tears. Sam watched with a tight chest as she fought them away. 

"He... he just started coughing and wouldn't stop and I didn't know what to do..." YN paused to look down to her lap, making the two men hold their breath in terrified anticipation. "They gave him something to ease the pain but he's barely there, dozing from conscious to unconscious and then somewhere in between." YN looked back up, meeting Sam's eye whom bit the inside of his cheek to remain as calm as possible. "They said he probably only has a few days." 

Sam closed his eyes as YN finally let the emotions overtake her, allowing Bucky to pull her to his chest as she sobbed, eyes and nose leaking with how much pain she was feeling. Sam stepped away as he felt his own eyes water, leaving Bucky to look after the crying woman. 

Bucky rocked their conjoined bodies, swallowing down his own whine's to ensure YN had something strong to hang onto, knowing if he broke down, neither party would be able to recover. 

Sam returned after composing himself, noting YN had fallen asleep against Bucky's chest. The older man had his head leant back against the brick wall behind him, his hand stroking along YN's arm. Sam clenched his teeth as he saw tears tracking down Bucky's cheeks, silent and controlled, much alike the super soldier himself. 

Sam placed a hand on Bucky's shoulder and the brunette opened his eyes to meet Sam's. Sam licked his lips, looking down to YN who had her face pressed against Bucky's abdomen, her mouth open and soft puffs of breath leaving it, the only remnants of her breakdown left, apart from her cheeks that were stained with her tears. 

"Let me take her, man." Sam whispered, stopping Bucky before he could refuse. "Go have a second to yourself, I've got her." 

Bucky finally relented, allowing Sam to slip into his previously occupied spot, barely jostling the woman who remained asleep. YN curled closer to Sam's body as Bucky left, a small thank you leaving him as he did. Sam smiled sadly down to YN as she gripped Sam's t-shirt, his hand coming down to run his fingers through her hair. 

It stayed like that for nearly an hour before YN awoke, her eyes blinking open and meeting Sam's brown. Sam expected her to rear back, embarrassed at their compromising position. However, Sam was surprised when YN kept her head in Sam's lap, her hand tightening around the fabric of his shirt. 

"Hey, princess." Sam whispered, his hand continuing its motion through her hair. "How are you doing?" YN grunted softly, shaking her head as a response. "I know," Sam sighed, licking his lips. "I know." 

"I don't think I can handle this again, Sammy." YN murmured, slowly lifting her body but remaining close enough that Sam could hold her hands, the woman looking down at them with gratitude. "I don't think I can do it." 

"Hey," Sam said, lifting their hands so he could kiss the back of YN's. "It's not like last time, you aren't alone. You hear me? I will never let you be alone." YN chuckled, the sound sad but also light. 

"That much was already clear." YN said, allowing a small smirk to tilt her mouth. "Thank you for being here." She added, letting Sam pull her into a hug, tight enough that YN had to fight the urge to break down again. Sam pressed his face in the crook of YN's neck, the sweet smell of her hair enveloping Sam's senses.

A nurse cleared her throat as she approached, which separated the two friends slowly, their attention immediately placed on the short woman. "He's awake," she started, raising her hands when YN jumped to her feet. "He's pretty dosed up at the moment and not really making much sense, but you can go and see him." YN clenched her teeth as she nodded, unknowingly wrapping her hand around Sam's to seek some support.

After finding Bucky, the three of them entered Steve's hospital room, YN immediately perching on Steve's bed, scooping both of his hands up as he stared out the window. "Hey, Stevie." She whispered, licking her lips. "Can you hear me?" 

Steve didn't respond for a while, not really noticing his three visitors straight away. YN squeezed his hands, which grabbed his attention long enough for him to meet her eyes, the distant look in them nearly making YN whine in sadness. 

"Ma?" YN's eyes widened as Steve smiled. "Hey, ma." 

Shaking her head, YN tried to smile, biting her tongue so hard inside her mouth that she could taste copper. "No, Stevie," she whispered. "It's YN." 

Steve frowned, removing his hands from hers and making YN whimper. "What are you talking about, mom?" Bucky inhaled quickly, coming to YN's side as tears rolled down her cheeks. 

"Steve?" Bucky said quietly, feeling YN move herself away from the bed. "Hey, pal, how are you feeling?" 

"Hey, Buck." Steve smiled, smacking Bucky's arm lightly. "I'm good. What's wrong with mom?" YN's bottom lip wobbled as she stumbled back even further, her hand coming to cover her mouth as sobs tore from her throat. "Ma? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry." 

Without responding, YN sprinted from the room, heartbroken sobs pouring from her mouth as she barreled through he hospital at superhuman speed. Sam quickly nodded to Bucky, silently letting him know he'd take care of it.