18

Mother Nature struck her today and Heiran wasn't having it. All day she had been lounging around the office, submerged in paperwork since she didn't have the brainpower to worry about the investigation and avoided human interaction. But Heiran wasn't the only one who was on the time of her month, it seemed.

Yoongi had been even scarier, drowning in his work and hissing at anyone who dared to talk to him. He was so frightening that Heiran didn't even have it in her to ask him to borrow his car to head back home. Poor Silent Wolf was the one who suffered through her boosted temper problems. All day he had listened to her snaps, looking like a falsely accused deer, wondering what he had done wrong to receive such a treatment.

At least he didn't have to suffer for too long since as soon as the skies had darkened, Heiran decided she wasn't going to suffer through her cramps in the office. So she packed up and headed home on her own.

A prick of pain made her hiss and she cursed at the sky, "Seriously? Why is this even a thing?"

The night sky looked peaceful, stars basically invisible against the city lights yet somehow still abundant in its beauty, but the skies didn't have an answer for her.

Hissing and stomping at the ground as she made her way home on a Halloween night, it took her a while to realize that her phone was ringing. Squinting against the blueish light of its screen, Heiran read the caller ID and scoffed.

"What's it, Mr. Jeon?"

Unprofessional. Heiran knew but her cramps were too intense for her to care.

"So you really went home, Ms. Ahn? I didn't think you were being serious. Was the pain that bad?"

So he had noticed and figured out the truth. Talk about the embarrassment! Heiran squeezed her eyes shut as she speed-walked down the lane in humiliation. Something followed her footsteps. "What do you mean, Prosecutor Jeon? What the heck are you insinuating?!"

"I thought you had stomach pain. Bad lunch?"

Oh no. So that's what he thought? That was even worse! Heiran's volume rose to a squeak as her cheeks reddened in shame. "No, no! That's not it. You got it all wrong—"

"No need to feel embarrassed, Ms. Ahn. It happens to the best of us."

Although Heiran couldn't see him, she swore she could hear the stony man's smirk in his tone. Something tugged at the back of her mind for attention but she dismissed it, too caught up on the conversation. "Mr. Jeon, it's not what you think! You have it all wrong. Don't-urgh! Don't make me say it!"

"I won't make you say anything, Ms. Ahn. I understand these are delicate matters that concern your private life. I do not want any details."

The curse 'f*ck you!' sat on the tip of her tongue but she had enough decency to not say it out loud, so she paused her steps and began quietly, "Mr. Jeon, you clueless, idiotic ratatouille—"

Heiran paused mid-curse when she heard another pair of footsteps come to a delayed stop several feet behind her. Finally, it hit her brain like an electric circuit what she was missing.

"Ratatouille? Is that what you ate for lunch, Ms. Ahn?"

Slowly, she resumed her walk, gradually gaining speed. Mentally, she took note of the footsteps that traced her path.

"I must admit that I never thought your interests swayed that way. French cuisine? You have really refined tastes." Jungkook's voice crackled through her phone.