9

Jonathan

I pull up Infront of her house and check the time. It was 8:54 I see the curtain to her room move and then she walks out the front door. She runs quickly to the passenger door opening it and sitting in the seat.

"Hey." I say pulling out of her driveway.

"Hey." She smiles.

"So where am I heading?" I ask stopping at a red light.

"stay straight then on Indian Blvd take left then it's right there on the corner." She says. I nod my head and follow her instructions.

We stop in the parking lot and I run around to open her door. She steps out and we rush in due to the wind.
Looking at everyone who clearly comes here on a daily basis, I feel out of place.

"hey Jenna!" A girl around Jenna's age runs up hugging her. She stands about 5'6" and has dirty blonde hair.

"Abby!" Jenna says hugging her back.

"When did you get back?" She ask when they break the hug.

"Just yesterday week. Africa was beautiful, and the people there were so nice. I've helped so many Jenna. You have to come next time." She says talking a little to fast. Jenna smiles.

"I'd love to but, you know my situation." Abby gives a sad smile nodding her head.

"Oh and this is my friend Jonathan." Jenna says introducing me. Abby immediately sticks out her hand for me to shake.

"Abby Wesley." She says giving a warm smile.

"Jonathan Cooper." I say kindly. After being introduced to many more people we take a seat for the service.

And for the first time in my life I actually listen to the service. I find myself moved unlike I had ever been before.

At the end of the service when we stand up I feel different somehow.
I don't mention it though.

We drive home in silence. Neither one of us breaking the silence. I stop Infront of her house. When she doesn't move to get out I finally break it.

"That was a good sermon." She nods her head. "Can I come in? Maybe meet your parents."

"Oh no that's fine their not home right now." She reaches for the door handle. I grab her hand to prevent her from leaving.

"Please sit I need to tell you something." She swallows and then sits.

"I'm a Dad." Anger flashes across her face.

"What! Don't you think that I should've known that?" She ask quite loudly. I swallow this time and look down. Finally letting go of her arm.

"Her momma died. Three years ago, she died cause of stage four cancer.
I don't even have custody of her." My eyes brim with tears. I don't cry Infront of people because it's weak.
But with Jenna I know that it doesn't matter.

I look up to meet her eyes and they also hold tears. A look that reminds me of how she tries to hold everyone on her shoulders. That's what my Ellie had tried to do.

"I'm sorry I didn't know. If we're sharing secrets my dad is going to be drunk and cursing my mom out. That's why I don't want you to come in." She leans across the car and wraps her arms around my shoulder.

We hug and let everything that is hurting us go. The hurt and the pain.

"If it's that bad just come with me. We can go to the park or something."

I say after we sit there for a minute. she doesn't answer just nods her head.
I pull out of her driveway and head to the park.