11

Jonathan

I close the door as I step out of my car.
Fixing my suit as I walk towards the house. Holding close the teddy bear I had bought at the store.

I knock on the door and step back to wait. It doesn't take long for Mr Ronald to open the door.

"Hey Jonathan, she's out back." He says stepping aside. Mr Ronald was in his fifties and was like a father to me.

"Thank you sir." He smiles as I walk by. Mrs Leanna is cooking in the kitchen. She waves as I walk by and I wave back.

I open the back door and watch as Cassidy plays on the swing set. I sit on the bottom step and watch her for a minute. She's having so much fun that it takes her a minute to see me, but when she does she comes running towards me.

"Daddy!" She says as she does. I bend down and open my arms her pigtails blow in the wind along with the bows in them.

"Hey Cassidy, how are you?" I ask wrapping her in a tight hug.

"Great. Do you want to play with me and Bernard?" She ask taking a step back.

"Who's Bernard?" I ask. She smiles.

"Bernard is my pony, he can talk though." I smile as I take her hand.

"Well then I guess I have to meet Bernard huh." She giggles and take my hand as she runs towards the swings.

We laugh and play until Mrs Leanna calls us in for dinner. We eat together and then I have to leave. I give Cassidy a final hug and then walk back to my car.

I drive to the coffee shop where I know that Jenna will be almost through her shift. As I guessed she locking the door when I walk up.

I wave at her through the window and she laughs walking back to the door and unlocking it.

"What?" She ask leaning on the frame.
I take a second to take in her. She wearing a cute sweater and blue jeans. Her hair is pulled up in a messy bun. But it doesn't take long for me to notice the dark circles around her eyes.

"What happened?" I ask stepping forward and cupping her face. She immediately takes a step back.

"Nothing just couldn't sleep last night.
Why are you here." She says trying to change the subject. Although I'm still curious I let it slide.

"I wanted to see you." She blushes and I smile.

"Well I'd love to hang out but Breanna is waiting out back to take me home."
She says pulling on the sleeves to her sweater.

"Well I'll take you, I know where you live." She shakes her head still pulling on her sweater sleeves.

"No that's fine, I'm sure you have something to do besides drive me around." This time I don't take her lie.

"What's the truth Jenna?" I ask. She looks up at me surprised.

"That I don't want to trouble you." I watch as she continues to pull on the sleeves to her sweater.

"No Jenna that's not it. You pull on your sweater sleeves when you're nervous." She looks down at her hands.

"My Dad kicked me and my Mom out. I'm staying with Breanna." She doesn't make eye contact as she continues to look at her hands.

I nod my head. I would still love to drive her but I know it's not best right now.

"Can I still pick you up for church Sunday?" She smiles.

"If you want to go back to church, then yeah." I smile at her.

"I would love to go back to church with you." She gives me a shy smile.

"You can pick me up tomorrow after I finish my shift." She turn around without another word. She locks the door waving as she does so. I wave back and walk back to my car.

☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕

I love this chapter!!!

Thanks again for reading!