FOURTEEN

A sharp pain spreading through her chest woke Odette up.

The seven year old girl abruptly sat up on her bed, and her features could barely be distinguished in the dimly lit room. She tightly gripped on the blanket as the throbbing within her intensified.

An itchy sensation irritated her throat, and Odette desperately scratched her neck violently in anguish in order to ease it.

Cold sweats dripped down her body, and the pained expression mirrored how she felt inside. Each passing second made breathing difficult for Odette, and it didn't take her long to gasp for intake of sufficient air.

Marks were left on her throat due to attacks made, and her fingernails had remnants of blood in them. However, the itch only intensified. She wasn't able to ease it.

Another jolt of pain went through her chest, and Odette felt as if her chest was being pierced by thousand arrows at a time. Her breathing got rougher.

The violent coughs accompanied by blood stained her blanket. Once the coughing stopped, Odette's lips were crimson, colored by the blood.

Her features were pale. The sudden iciness caused her to shudder, and a single tear slid down her face.

The overwhelming pain made her decide to reach out for her pillow with one of her hand whilst the other attempted to relieve her neck.

The scrapped off skin from her neck made it a disturbing sight. Nevertheless, the burning pain in her neck wasn't as worse as the itch.

Pulling out the silver dagger from underneath her pillow, Odette placed it dangerously close to her neck and badly wanted to take the last step of piercing through.

At that moment, Odette's consciousness was fading away, and she wasn't in any state to think straight. All she wanted to do was to get rid of the pain.

The throbbing within her only increased as time passed by, and overwhelming amount of coughs, followed by blood, escaped from her mouth.

Desperate to get rid of this sensation, all the strands of rationality in her mind collapsed, and the only feasible option that appeared to her was to drive that blade through her neck.

That would surely take away the pain.

Cries and moans of pain left her mouth instinctively. They didn't go unnoticed by the ones outside, but no one entered. They didn't care enough to step in and comfort the seven year old in time of her pain.

Since the irritation in her throat showed no signs of disappearing, she pierced her neck through the knife in her hand. The knife made a small cut in her neck, and the tip of the knife was covered in the blood.

However, her last thread of rationality acted up when she was about to drive the entire knife through her neck. Strangely enough, the image of Adrian flashed through her mind, and that was enough to stop her from killing herself.

A loud scream escaped from her mouth as a stabbing ache went through her chest, and Odette felt as if her chest was being ripped open by someone painfully.

Bringing her knife over from her neck, she held it close to her wrist and made a sharp cut on it. She had removed both of her hands from the neck due to that slight desire to live.

Pain permeated through her wrist due to cut. However, it was not enough to overwhelm the itchiness.

As a trail of tear left her eyes, she made several more cuts in her hand in order to drown the irritation within her neck, and her face showed her desperation. However, that was not enough.

Her chest felt as if it was being trampled on by someone when another sets of cough escaped from her mouth, falling on top of her bloody wrist.

Sitting on her grand bed, Odette was a mess.