SEVENTEEN

Other than the seven year old boy and Odette, there was no one present inside the room. Adrian was taken outside to be bathed and will be brought in after an hour.

After what happened with the senior maid, the maids would surely be meticulous with their actions.

Raising her tea cup, Odette took a sip out of it while observing the boy in front of her. After watching what had happened, Dennis was obviously shaken up and had fear radiating off of him.

That uneasiness was what she needed as she wanted him to be careful of her and to take every step after deep planning. She required him to use his brains more if everything had to go smoothly.

Given that he underestimated her or found her to be lenient, the matters would be dealt with sloppily by him, and that will be great disappointment to Odette's plans.

"Come here," Odette commented— her tone being domineering.

Dennis' legs visibly trembled as he walked over to Odette. His eyes were trained on the ground while he nervously gulped.

"Raise your head."

Following her orders, Dennis looked up, and his eyes fell upon Odette. Only once after he had entered into her room did he have an eye contact with her, and finding that to be bone-chilling, he did not dare to look at her in the eyes again.

As he met his eyes with hers again, he could distinctly feel that pressurizing aura. This reminded him of that day in the Duke's presence.

"You are quite vicious. Although the boy had not attacked you once at that time, you did not hesitate to injure him twice," Odette commented.

This made Dennis freeze, and he was almost about to get on his knees to apologize when she continued, "However, this is what you need to be helpful around here. That's continue to be this way, and don't disappoint me, got it?"

Placing the tea cup down, she stood up and smiled before adding, "You should know that it is the ones in the top who make the decisions."

Even though the girl wasn't older than her, the maturity in her tone made Dennis frightened. Although she showed no dissatisfaction, Dennis felt as if he was on pins and needles.

"You know who is the obstacle to your path to top, right?" she questioned.

Dennis' voice was stuck at his throat, and keenly sensing how she was growing displeased, he managed to stutter out, "Y-Yes."

"Then, put on an amusing show for me," she expressed before wearing a terror inducing grin and uttering, "Or else, I am afraid I have to get rid of you. I don't like what I get bored of."

Cold sweats formed all over his back, and he could clearly feel how she was pushing him to assume a role. If he failed to do so, it would be his life that is gone.

Growing up at impoverished, he had to abandon his humanity a couple of times and wasn't worried about placing that at stake. He understood the term survival of the fittest well.

What made him scared was not being able to live up to Odette's expectations. He valued his life greatly and was ready to do anything to keep it safe.

"I understand," Dennis responded while feeling slight pity for Adrian.

He wanted to leave the boy to his own accord, but now that his life was on the line here, there was nothing that could be done. At the end, Adrian could only blame himself for weak.

Odette saw how Dennis wasn't hesitant. The only reason for his anxiousness was the uncertainty her words provided. From the memories of her last life, she knew how far he could go to preserve that measly life of his, and that is what she needed.