TWENTY-THREE

As the sharp blade bit deeper into his skin, the prison guard shuddered. His blood went cold due to dread. He loosened his hold on Adrian and looked back at Odette in horror.

He didn't even hear her footsteps.

His heart was almost about to jump out of his chest because of the menacing glare Odette targeted at him. The smile she had on her face was clear with the murderous intent. With that intimidating presence of hers, her age and height had no effect.

"Lady Odette," the Prison Guard acknowledged before bowing. Rumors on how unpredictable she was floated into his ears too, and cold sweat began to form on his back.

He released his hold on Adrian, letting the boy fall to the ground. Because of his hazy sight, Adrian was barely able to make out Odette. His entire body throbbed in pain.

The sadistic leer he had earlier, coupled with that arrogance, had diminished to submissiveness and fear.

Finding that pathetic, Odette chuckled.

Swiftly moving the dagger away from his neck, she brought it over to his chest— right exactly where his furiously beating heart sat. This made the Prison Guard's eyes dilate further as he gulped.

"You are quite the bold one, aren't you? Stealing your master's meal," Odette commented with humor in her voice.

"What a pity you got caught before you could taste him," Odette added woefully. However, her tone felt bone-chilling to the Prison Guard.

That was a heavy accusation attached to his head— something that he wouldn't even have the courage to think of.

Knowing how terrible the situation would be if she chose to go through this, he begged, "Pardon me please, Lady Odette. I apologize. I didn't know you were interested in him. He was merely sent here with the words that he harmed you, Lady Odette. I merely wanted to punish him on your behalf."

"How funny that you think you have the authority to make decisions on my behalf." Odette laughed.

She pressed the blade further into his chest. He hissed at the pain that came when the dagger pierced through his skin. Odette's lack of hesitancy in her actions frightened him.

"No, no, forgive me, Lady Odette. This is not what I intended. Someone as lowly as me wouldn't even dream of this. Please, Lady Odette, spare me. I will never repeat this mistake. I apologize. Please don't kill me." The horror he felt made his words come out scrambled.

Odette sighed. "That's what they all say. Please spare me. I apologize. I will never repeat this mistake."

Following that, she stared at the man with a smiling gaze and asked, "But do you know how I reply to them all?"

The Prison Guard didn't wish to not know at all, but he couldn't deny either.

He stuttered out, "W-What is it?"

Her grin grew wider. "Doesn't matter to me."

Tears ran down his face.

"Lady Odette, please show mercy on me. Don't kill me. I have a family back at home. They need me for their survival." He was desperate for some sympathy from Odette.

"An eye for an eye. A tooth for a tooth. Since Adrian is alive, I won't kill you," she responded.

"Thank—"

Before he could express his gratefulness, Odette added, "But you spilled his blood. How about all of your fingers and toes in return? Ah! Since Adrian is a child, let's add those eyes of yours to the deal too. Sounds fair, right?"

A vicious glint appeared in Odette's eyes.