Chapter 51

"Nathaniel,"I uneasily started, dreading my next words, "I can't."

His face dropped.

I swallowed, pushing back the acceptance that was on the tip of my tongue, and lamely said, "I'm-I'm in the middle of a big year for me.."

Nathaniel blinked, closing the small box's lid and standing back up. "I'll see you in class tomorrow, Miss. Garland."

Nathaniel left me standing alone in Central Park.

~~~~~~~~

I stormed into Lavender's apartment, letting the door slam into the wall. It was quite, and I guessed she was out. I'll have to wait until she's back-

"Get out of my house, you bastard!" Lavender's voice screamed. "Or I'll call the cops!"

I sighed. "Lavender, it's me."

She stepped out from behind the wall, sheepishly smiling but still clasping her broom. "Oh. Hi Linds."

I shook my head, stepping into the kitchen and covering my face with my hands as I leaned into the counter.

"What's wrong with me?" I mumbled.

"What?"

I squeezed my eyes before peeking out of my hands. "Nathaniel proposed to me."

Her broom fell immediately out of her hand, earning a loud thwack! from the ground.

Her mouth dropped. "WHAT?"

I covered my ears, watching her.

"We have to get a dress! Oh, and the invitations! Where's the ring?" She fired off questions, pacing back and forth excitedly.

"Lavender-" I tried to stop her.

"Your mother will die. And Mariella! A pink dress will look adorable on her-"

"Lavender!" I raised my voice, and she stopped. "I said no."

Her face dropped too, hitting me like déjà vu as I had just witnessed Nathaniel doing the same. "What."

It wasn't a question, more like a monotone statement. "I said no."

"Why." She said slowly, looking as if not comprehending.

"I said this was a big year for me-"

"You're an idiot."

I frowned. "Thanks, Lav."

She shook her head irritatingly, leaving the room.

I sighed, walking after her. "Lavender."

She didn't stop, just plopped herself on her bead.

"Lavender." I sighed, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"I just-" she stopped, shaking her head in annoyance.

"What? Tell me."

Lavender looked at me, pulling herself up and sitting against the bed frame. "I just don't get you."

"What's that supposed to mean." I said lowly.

"After everything you've been through; the Foster stuff, the teenage home, Walter.. Don't you get it?"

"Get what?"

She shook her head. "He's been through it all with you; for you. For the past two years, I've watched you. I know how hard you've been trying to ignore your true feelings for him, but I also know that you and him are meant to be together. Why can't you just accept that he's everything to you, and to stop running from whatever it is your running from."

I was quiet for a moment. "I'm scared to commit again. I don't want him to hurt me like he did."

"Knowing Nathaniel," she smiled, softly smiling, "he won't."

I looked down at my hands, until she leaned forward and squeezed them.

"If you're lucky enough to have a guy like Nathaniel, I wouldn't let him go."

~~~~~~~~

Whenever Nathaniel and I would get into small disputes or disagreements, I would always find him in Central Park-under a secret rock hangover.

That was where I found him at six o'clock. The sun was beginning to set, casting an eery yet pretty glow over the Park.

He was sitting under it, with his eyes closed and head against the rock.

"Nathaniel." I said hurriedly, breathing hard. I had been running fast.

His eyes immediately opened, and he looked over at me. "Lindsey?"

It was like time stopped. But before I knew it, my mind was already made up.

"Yes." I evenly said.

A cloud of confusion ran across his face. "What?"

"Yes. I'll marry you."

Nathaniel pulled himself up, shocked but smiling.

I ran to him, jumping in his arms and kissing him. Nathaniel Sky, my fiancé.

After a few moments of kissing, I retreated back and let him slide the ring on my fourth finger. It was beautiful; a carrot diamond sat on a silver band.

He smiled, wiping a tear off my cheek. "I hope it fits."

I nodded, speechless. "It's perfect, I adore it."

I turned my finger slightly, frowning curiously at the small symbol engraved on the side. "Is that a-"

"Infinity sign." He finished, looking at it. "On our first date in Central Park, I gave you-"

"A necklace with an infinity sign." I finished, grinning. I still had it to this day.

He smiled, kissing my finger softly.

"But now there's a bigger question." Nathaniel suddenly said, amusement in his tone as he enveloped me in his arms and nuzzled his head in my neck.

I looked up. "What's that?"

"Where are are we going to get married?" He said, murmuring in my ear which set off a tingling sensation.

I smiled excitedly, looking around us and than to him with a cheeky grin.

"I may have an idea."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Well, readers. It's time. My book has ended, and it has been a fantastic year writing. I hope you all fell in love with my characters, as much as I did. When I first created Lindsey, she was meant to be a strong individual; yet she was one to block her emotions. Nathaniel, one of my favorites, was there to pull her out of it. Lavender was a particularly fun character to write. She was sarcastic, realistic, and was always the one to break the ice in an awkward situation.

When I first started writing, I had a completely different vision for the things that would eventually be laid out. But as I continued writing, new ideas became about and I went with those. Conflict, humor, tears, love, and adrenaline were one of the many characteristics.

As always, I thank all of you for your support in comments, votes, and reads. The comments that were left encouraged, and inspired me to update regularly. (Even if sometimes it wasn't on time:0) if any of you have any lingering questions, please feel free to ask! 

If you're interested in more by me, be on the lookout for my next book!