Chapter 7

"Is something wrong?" Twi asked, his eyebrows raised as he cut through the tense silence. 

Link and Zelda held each other's gaze, eyes wide. Link narrowed his for a moment, watching her carefully to see if she was going to tell them how they knew each other. Obviously, Twi knew all about her, besides the fact that it was her- but it occurred to him that Zelda had told her cousin probably equally horrifying stories about him. If they were true or exaggerated was beside the point. They watched each other skeptically, Zelda watching him with almost fearful eyes, like she'd come to the same conclusion he had.   

"I think we might have met at your wedding," Zelda lied quickly, tearing her eyes away from Link, though she still looked like she'd seen a ghost, "he spilled his drink on me," she added awkwardly, ignoring Link's aggressive signals for her to stop, "so it's just a shock to see him, that's all." 

"Ok," Twi glanced between the two of them suspiciously, "must've been one heck of a night then." 

"Um, it was dark," Link added, earning three confused looks, "and loud," he scratched the back of his neck nervously, "so I didn't realize it was your cousin...at the time." 

He saw the pained expression on Zelda's face as he tried to go along with the lie. It wasn't his finest moment, all he did was add to the confusion and awkwardness. Twi and his wife didn't seem to read too far into it though, they brushed it aside, continuing making breakfast and tending to their kids, leaving the two younger Hylians to fidget uncomfortably, avoiding each other's eyes. 

"Hey, Dusk," Zelda chirped up, hands still holding onto her suitcase with a death grip, "I think I'll put my stuff in my room if that's all right." 

"Of course!" Dusk swept her long hair over her shoulder, "Wild, could you show her where it is? It's right next to yours." 

"Its- mine, by- room, hers?" Link sputtered, head twisting between the two so fast it hurt his neck. 

Twi and Dusk exchanged a wary glance, "Are you sure your all right?" Twi asked. 

"Perfectly fine!" Link insisted, perhaps too fast and his voice cracking did nothing to make it more convincing, "I'll just show her the way," he chuckled nervously and turned to head towards the stairs, motioning for Zelda to follow. 

She did so, though by the look on her face it was reluctantly. They both climbed the stairs, Link keeping his eyes ahead and doing his best to cool his burning face. Only when they reached the door to her room did he spin around to face her. 

"What are you doing here?" he seethed nearly in sync with her. 

They glared at each other, expressions nearly identical, "I was here first," Link added, causing Zelda's frown to deepen. 

"You know what, I don't care," She finally sighed, "can you just move aside and leave me alone? I don't want to see you and I'm sure you don't want to see me, so let's just keep out of each other's ways, ok?"