{26} Fairytale Casket

Tanwir Sarker

I knew Alexander too well, knew him like the back of my mind. He was not a man to be toyed with, nor was he a man that took risks without calculations. There was a reason why this mafia was feared by all, why people like Daisuke and Halvard would choose this life over a successful career. The underworld of crime offered a different success, minimal effort for maximum results.

The sly bastard sat behind his desk, smirking at me as his pen tapped the mahogany countertop. "I didn't expect you to be in my office so soon," he said, a devilish glint catching his amber gaze. His eyes were like slitted gold, a serpent's deceit glowing back at me. "Dinner was only two hours ago. What could have the enforcer that thirsty for blood again?"

He's doing it on purpose. Stay calm. "That man at dinner today, how did you know his connection to my friend?"

His expression lit up. "Oh, so I was correct in my assumptions then."

"Cut the crap. How did you know his connection to Ibrahim?"

Alexander threw his head back in a deep chuckle, toying with me. "Come now, even you should know how good my confidants are. After all," he paused, voice drawling his next words, "you were one of them."

My fists clenched at my sides. Kanza brought it up after dinner, swearing to me that Ibrahim was in a conference call with that man for negotiations. All the pieces started to click, the chess board slowly coming to the surface as the mastermind behind it all pulled the strings to his puppet show.

"What do you want from me?" I asked, voice hoarse. "Why are you targeting my friends?"

He tilted his head at me, a sly smile playing on his lips. "I am merely pushing you in the right direction," he clarified. Alexander pulled of a manila folder, tossing it on the desk between us. "Ibrahim Tarkan was trying to buy property from the man you shot at. I cannot let that happen."

My eyebrows furrowed as I picked up the documents, skimming over the business deal. "Why not?"

"That property is the center of drug trafficking. It is very close to the docks, meaning shipments can pass through for private businesses without as much regulation from the state. Now, here's where your friend comes in. He wants to eradicate the hushed criminal businesses that thrive in those areas. Think of him as some vigilante."

I didn't like where this conversation was going. "Ibrahim is a good man," I said, placing the documents down. "If this is a threat towards my friend-"

Alexander dismissed my thought with a wave of his hand. "Save me the speech. I wouldn't dream of threatening a powerful CEO even with the mafia as my aid."

Releasing a slow breath, I felt the tension in my muscles ease. This wasn't a death order.

Wait, but then why did he bring Ibrahim up?

As if he could read my thoughts, the leader of the mafia's demeanor changed, a sly smile stretching across his lips as a chill ran up my spine. Death and blood were common among a group like this, a second nature to their violence. I was immune to it in my youth.

"The plan is simple," he said, leaning back against his leather chair. His voice was silky with ambition. "Drive your friend away from my business prospects, and no harm will come to him or his company."

"And if I fail?"

His gold eyes slitted like a serpent's. "Consider our agreement terminated." Just as quickly as the menacing look entered his gaze, it vanished like smoke. "Don't disappoint me, enforcer."

I didn't need to be told twice. This was a Russian roulette, except without the guns pointed at our heads. At least not yet.

* * * *