Chapter 65: Home Sweet Home Version 2

March 23, 2024

''Welcome to Russia!'' Katya called out to Maya, who took her suitcase from Happy. The fake fur hat on her head looked so adorable on her. She had been so excited to wear it, saving it especially for this trip. Now, she giggled at Katya's theatrics.

The emotions they felt were all the same, only dispersed differently between them. Excitement, nerves, anxiety, anticipation, calmness. Katya hadn't fully woken up yet after the nap she took in the jet, blaming the early departure - eight AM - and her anxiety meds for her sleepiness. What Maya didn't know, is that in accord with Eliza and Angelina, Katya had upped her anxiety meds for this trip. They made her a bit sleepy, but she so desperately wanted to enjoy this week without any breakdowns.

So far, it seemed to work, because she suspected she would have felt a lot more anxious without them. Nevertheless, she had let out a shaky breath when she stopped at the door of the jet. It was just a country, just a piece of land, she had to remind herself. Everything would be fine, nobody was coming for them, for Maya. They were Avengers, that was stupid.

Right when Natasha was about to ask if she was alright, Katya had gotten herself together and treaded down the steps. When her feet were on solid ground, she knew she couldn't go back. This was happening.

It was even colder here than in New York, cloudy with an icy wind. A shiver went through her body as she looked around. This small, private airstrip they landed on was right outside the city. Tony had connections with the owner. It meant no security or customs to go through. And since she had the Widow Bites in her suitcase, Katya wasn't too bummed about that.

Russian prisons were brutal, and they sucked. She could know.

Natasha slipped Happy some cash as a thank you for flying them all the way here before she took Maya's hand with her free one and headed for the main building, which was more like a shed for dozens of other small private planes. ''Welcome to the city I was born in,'' she said enthusiastically. ''Or, I guess, if I have to believe my birth certificate.''

''Are we going to the hotel now?'' Maya questioned, wide-eyed, following Natasha through some double doors. Inside the building, it wasn't much warmer. But it didn't have to be. Nobody stayed here for long. They came to fly and then left.

''Yes,'' she smiled, dropping Maya's hand to reach into the inside pocket of her jacket for more cash. ''It will take a while to get there, so better get comfortable in the car.'' Slipping the man waiting by the front door more money in exchange for the keys to their car, she then continued to completely ignore him. Not like he cared; he counted the stack of dollars while walking off with a grin. Probably a shady contact she still had.

The expensive BMW SUV waiting for them wouldn't be out of place between the other expensive cars in the garage of the hotel. Katya was content with it at least, tossing her heavy suitcase in the trunk and helping Maya with hers. The GPS led them straight to the hotel, a forty-five-minute drive into the heart of the city, but Maya didn't complain once. 

Wide-eyed, she drunk in the beauty of the city. The elegant buildings, the canals and rivers they passed. It truly was a mecca of cultural, historical, and architectural landmarks, and it displayed that in every street and around every corner. People coming here could smell the rich history. It was beautiful. Even Katya had to admit that. Luckily, she barely remembered the couple missions she had here, forced them to the back of her mind years ago.

Everyone was tired because of the trip, so Natasha didn't take the long route that went past the beautiful cathedrals, but instead the short way to the hotel. A shame the journey was so long, but traveling was part of a holiday.