chapter eight

Chapter Eight: Strawberry

Holy mother of all that's holy

Holy mother of all that's holy. I'm currently standing, alone, with Cole Austin. Now we're just standing here awkwardly just staring at each other.

"It was nice see-"
"Would you like to-"

"Oh you can g-"
"What we're you sayi-"

We both laugh awkwardly. Ok if it wasn't already weird it's definitely weird now. "Um did you want to say something?" I ask him with a small smile. His face turns a light shade of pink just on his cheeks and he rubs the back of his neck. I think I'm going to melt.

"Oh no it's fine haha." He says looking downward looking embarrassed. What would he be embarrassed about?

"Are you sure?" He just nods his head. "Ok well I'm gonna go then, it was nice seeing you!" I say with a big smile because I really was happy to see him again like really happy. Then I realize I have to lock the store up. Crap on a cracker.

"Um I kinda have to close up so... um..." Hoping he gets the hint. A look of realization comes over his face.

"Oh right sorry ahah."

"It's alright." I say with a tight lipped smile and walk towards the front of the store and he follows. As we're walking the most embarrassing thing that could've happened, happened.

My stomach growled for food. I want a big hole to come swallow me and never let me out. I look at him wide eyed felling heat rise to my cheeks. I'm sure I looks like a tomato right now.

"You hungry?" He asks with a small smirk. Why me world, why me. I nod meekly still very embarrassed and not trusting myself to speak. "Hey... would you possibly..." He looks away and blushed again and rubs his neck again like he did a few minutes prior. If I already wasn't a melting i'm sure i'm a puddle now.

"Would you like to go out to that café across the street maybe for lunch?" I stand there stunned. Did the Cole Austin just ask me out?. I must've been standing there too long not saying anything because then he rushed out, "I mean you don't have to. I mean you just met me so why would you, you know? Actually it was a stupid suggestion forget it."

He turns away and walks out the door. I'm still standing in the same place when I realize I didn't even reply. I run out the door and quickly lock it but when I turn to look for him, I see him walking to his car in the parking lot. "Cole!" I shout and his body turns around. "You never let me answer!". I say with a big smile.

I walk over to him and softly say, "I would really like it if you took me there." A small smile playing on my lips as I say this.

"Really?" I nod my head while smiling. "Ok great! Let me just get something real quick." He puts his upper body in the car and reaches for something. When he's coming back out he hits his head on the roof of his car. I hear a hiss and immediately go over to his car.

"Are you ok?" I ask while trying to suppress my laugh but I fail miserably and let out a few giggles. He comes out of his car fully, his face a dark shade of red. He's holding the top of his head and he looks very embarrassed and I feel sorta bad. Only sorta because this is probably one of the most adorable things I've ever seen. Besides my cats.

"Yeah I'm alright thanks." He says with a chuckle. He see's me trying not to laugh and smirks. "Are you laughing at me strawberry?" Strawberry?

"Yes I did. Did you call me strawberry?"

"Yes I did." He answers in the same voice I did. "Anytime you blush you look like a strawberry because of your freckles and you smell like them too." A smirk playing on his lips thinking he's won.

My face heats up immediately but I'm not one to lose. "So your smelling me? That's kinda stalker-ish don't you think?" I ask. His face immediately drops.

"No I wasn't- I- ok I know how weird but..." He then let's out a long groan. I smile in victory then turn and start walking to the crosswalk.

I turn around and ask him if he's coming. He just smiles and laughs while shaking his head. He nods and catches up to me.

We start walking when I feel a stare. I look up to see him smiling down at me. I smile back then continue with a blush creeping up.

He chuckles and says "See I told you, you look like a strawberry." I look in a store window and if I squint hard enough... never mind I don't see it.

"I think your hallucinating Mr.Austin." I say with a laugh. He just shakes his head and we continue the rest of the way in silence. It's not an awkward silence it's more of a relaxing one.

We arrived at the café about 10 minutes ago. It's pretty busy right now and we just ordered about 7 minutes ago. We're currently sitting at a table just talking about anything and everything. Right now he's telling the story of how a seagull attacked him.

"So let me get this straight," I say laughing "the only thing you did to it was chase it?" How stupid is he?

"Yes! I didn't think it was that big of a deal!" He said in all seriousness and even had a little pout on his face. That's when I burst out laughing. I don't think I've laughed this hard in ages. When I finally stop and look at him I see him already looking at me with a soft smile. We stare at each other just appreciating time when an older lady comes over to us with, what looks like, our order.

"Here you guys are. Is there anything else I can get you?" I shake my head and Cole does the same. "You know, you remind me of me and my husband when we where younger." My face immediately heats up.

"Oh we aren't-" Me and Cole both say at the same time. But the lady leaves before we can say anything else. We both look at each other and laugh awkwardly. Shoot it's awkward again.

I sip on my drink. I got an iced coffee while he got a hot chocolate. "How can you drink that stuff." I look at him weirdly. "Coffee is the most disgusting drink ever to be invented." His nose crinkled.

I gasp, hurt by what he's said. "How can you eat that then?" I look at his tuna sandwich in disgust. Ever since I had one then threw it up I've never been able to eat one again. It's his turn to gasp.

"Because this," he points to his sandwich "is delicious and amazing. That," he points to my drink "is disgusting and a bio hazard."

"What ever you say Mr. Austin," I sigh  "what ever you say." We both stare at each other then burst out laughing. Everyone is looking at us like we're weirdos but we didn't care we just kept laughing.

I could get used to this...