Wattpad Original
There are 9 more free parts

Chapter Twenty Four

Cameron

As I lead Richard down the hallway, I can't help but feel nervous. What if he says no? My palms are sweating, my heart is beating rapidly, and I feel like I might throw up.

I kept it together a few seconds ago when Maddie and I were talking, but in reality, I've been on the edge of my seat the entire night. I knew I was going to have this conversation with her father, but I'd been dreading it with the fear that it won't go the way that I want it to.

I stop walking when we reach the bathroom, spinning around to rest my back up against the wall. Richard is looking at me expectantly, eager to find out why I pulled him away.

"Um..." I shift the weight on my feet, trying to figure out how to start this. "Richard, you know that I love Maddie, right?"

He raises an eyebrow, his stare hardening over me before he says, "Before or after you broke her heart?"

Damn. Well, I had that one coming.

"I never stopped loving her," I explain. "There was a lot that factored into my decision to end things, but I think you know as well as I do that there's nobody out there that cares for her more than me."

The expression on his face immediately changes as he starts to piece together why I pulled him aside tonight, and finally a smile appears. "What are you asking me, Cameron?"

Oh, god. I really feel like I'm going to puke. I need to ask him this though because I didn't do it right the first time. It was on a whim, spur of the moment. It was exactly how our relationship used to be. I want this time to be calculated. Planned.

"I want to marry her," I tell him firmly. "She makes me the happiest man alive, and I love her and Izzy more than anything in this world. I wanted to ask you for your permission before I go and get the ring first though. I wanted to do this right."

"And you thought I'd say no?" He smiles softly, a sadness suddenly overcoming him. "Look, you broke her heart Cameron, and yeah, I wanted to beat you to a pulp once it happened, but honestly, the way my life is going I'm not exactly one to judge someone else, am I?"

I remain quiet, wondering if this is a trick question.

"My daughter loves you. I don't think she'd ever forgive me if I didn't say yes to you, but if I do agree then you have to promise me one thing."

"Anything," I reply.

"Don't be me." He says quietly, blinking away tears as he gives me a pat on the shoulder. "I married Mary way too soon. I wasn't certain if she was the one for me, but whenever my daughter walks into the room I can tell that you're certain about her. It's evident all over your face. I just don't want you to lose that feeling. Bottle it up, because you'll need to remember it when times get tough."

"I can assure you that I'm here for the long haul, Richard. I'm willing to put in the work."

"And that's all I wanted to hear." He smiles and shakes my hand, patting me quickly on the back again. "Yes, you have my permission."

Surprisingly this went way easier than expected. A few years ago Richard would have cornered me and asked a thousand questions, but I guess since the affair he doesn't exactly feel like he has that authority anymore. He could warn me all he wanted about breaking his little girl's heart, but he knows deep down he broke it first.

"When are you popping the question?" He asks.

"Oh, not anytime soon. I don't have the ring yet. I wanted to have your blessing first before I bought it."