2.

Am I finally free?

   "Were going to do a drive by of your house so you can take just one last look." The officer said after the painfully long silence. I thanked him silent while keeping my gaze with the rain present on the window.

27. That's how many raindrops were sitting there, another 15 sliding down, down, down, until no more.

I had always found the rain to be a cure for everything. I remember sitting in my room, staring out the old, beat up window. I remember counting the raindrops to take my kind off of the pain.

pain.

Such a weird word. For most, pain is something that hurts them so much where they can't take anymore. But for me, pain was the way to tell me I was still alive. Pain for me, was telling me I wasn't getting out of this hell anytime soon.

"- to make sure you don't have any other family." Was all I heard from the front. "Sorry, I wasn't listening. What did you say?" I asked, barely even a whisper from the pain of my throat.

"We are going to the station get a DNA test, to make sure you don't have any other family." He explained again in a softer tone then the last time.

Family.

I was sure I didn't have any other family. And if I did, they wouldn't want the broken, damaged girl that doesn't have a future.

We arrived at the station where I was brought to a tiny ass office with a different officer who presented herself as Officer Brown.

She had stacks upon stacks of papers sitting in the corner of her dest and I couldn't help but think of what they were for. "Alright Kinsley Russo correct?" she asks, moving papers to get the right ones.

I cleared my throat, "Umm yea." Good lord i'm so awkward. I mentally face palmed myself. "Alright, so were going to ask you to follow us to where we can draw blood to see if we can find anyone it matches." The officer says rather calmly.

I nodded and she told me to follow her, leading me down hallways in which I thought were the same but apparently not.

The DNA test took no longer than five minutes and I had no clue they had even started until they said "done." I looked around confused but officer Brown shook my out of my trance and told me to follow her back to her office for the results.

   I never had any clue the police station was this big. Sure i've seen about 10% of the people that work here in the past 10 years of my life. That's besides the point.

   We made it back to Officer Browns office and I sat uncomfortably in the old wooden chairs that sat unevenly in front of her desk.

   I got bored and counted the ceiling tiles in the room. 21 and a half in case you were wondering. Then I counted the floor tiles, but, before I got done I was interrupted by the test results I could care less about.

   The look on Browns face told me I should be worried but I held my fear in until I heard what was happening. "Good news!" She said, lifting her worried face into a smile.

   I nodded, focusing my attention on her to hear that I had nobody else but a foster home waiting for me. "You have family!"

what.

   I shook my head, "I don't think- are you sure?" I asked. I was sure I didn't have anybody else. No other family. I didn't want family and I didn't want to go anywhere. "Yep. A father that has apparently been looking for you for forever, and 6 brothers that have also been looking for you." She said, feeling content with herself that she found someone for me.