Chapter 22

The paramedics were done with her

The paramedics were done with her. They now busied themselves with tidying up the back of their ambulance while they left Penelope to sit beneath the shiny silver blanket. Figuring if they weren't monitoring her she must be considered fine, Penelope quietly shrugged off the crinkly blanket and slid off the bumper, sneaking after Martha and the other SAR personnel.

The Search and Rescue team members didn't notice her trailing behind them as they reached the other officials, carrying the camera to Officer Duncan. Officer Duncan looked up as the team approached. His already dour face turned into a full scowl as he noticed the camera in Martha's gloved hands.

"Is that one of theirs? How can we tell?" he asked aloud, turning to the other officers that were gathered around him. "Do we have a list of their equipment somewhere?"

"Uh, I think we do, somewhere!" replied one of the younger-looking officers before they darted off to go search for it.

"Or we could just check if there's any footage," Martha suggested, offering it to Duncan.

He didn't take it. "I don't know how to work that thing. We'll have to send it back to the station," he replied with a derisive sniff like technology was some ancient magic that couldn't be trusted.

"We should check it now, if we can," Martha replied with a frustrated huff, rescinding the camera. "It could provide crucial clues on what might've happened to them. Clues we could use now."

"Well, then go for it," he said, with a shrug, "if you know how." He rolled his eyes. His sliding gaze caught on Penelope as she lurked on the edges of their group. "Wait a minute. You!"

For a moment, Penelope froze like prey under the eyes of a predator as all the people in the group turned to look at the intruder.

Martha frowned as she saw Penelope. "Hey! Get out of here! This isn't a conversation for civilians, you shouldn't—"

"No, wait," Officer Duncan said, his eyes brightening for the first time since this morning. "Gunnar said you knew them, didn't he? Are you familiar with their equipment? Do you recognize this camera?"