Thirty-Seven

Sitting in her car, Magenta stares at the downtown Houston building

Sitting in her car, Magenta stares at the downtown Houston building. She listens to the state attorney on Caprice's case gives her any updates... "I talked to all the girls who dm'd you. All of the stories are similar. They go out with these guys. After one drink they start to feel out of it. They usually have some memories of the assault. One girl said every time she woke up it was a different guy coming in the room. They also record videos or take pictures to use as blackmail later, so women won't go to the police."

"So, what does this mean? I'm the only one who filed a criminal case. You know how people are. Unless it's on paper it's all he say, she say."

"Yeah, none of them are interested in pressing charges. Don't let that discourage you. Some of their stories check out and I filed a motion to have the ones willing to help added to the witness list. If it's approved, great. Court's all about what you can prove, not what you know. This shows a pattern. Apparently, a lot of the women were surprised he did that to you, but it made sense why you were actually brave enough to press charges..."

"What do you mean?" Magenta furrows her eyebrows.

"You're not his normal type of victim. You're a college graduate with a growing and established career behind the scenes. They usually go for the girls known to get around the industry. The ones who want to model, act, luck up and be a rapper or athletes baby mama. The girls doing only fans."

"The ones who they can say, 'no one will believe you if you come forward anyway,'" she nods in understanding.

"These men look at women as disposable, as a commodity. They think they have a right to these women's bodies because they have a reputation. Caprice met his match with you as long as you don't back down. I'm going to do whatever I can to ensure he never does this to another women."

"Thanks," Gen says before ending the call.

With a sigh she kills the engine on her car. Something catches her eye in her rearview mirror. She glances to her side mirror next seeing the car that's been following her the last couple of weeks. From talking to Gee it's a private investigator who Caprice hired to follow her.