The Butterfly's woes (3)

Warning; slight mentioning of eating disorder

. . .

White star could feel the hand that was holding his as they walked;

It was smooth, unlike his who was marred with callouses after years of fighting.

He glanced to the side and saw Cale's face,

It was only several months, not even a year; but he already changed quite a bit.

. . .

They walked throughout the town, Occasionally stopping by some stalls and buying several street snacks on their way.

Barrow swore, he hasn't eaten so much ever since he received the curse in this hundreds of years.

The only reason he ever ate before, was so his material body won't die. Not for any other reasons than that. Not even to appreciate it.

He couldn't even taste anything to begin with. So eating more than needed was useless to him.

But now,

Even though he still couldn't taste the sweetness of an apple nor the bitterness of that lemon drink he accidently took, he could somehow feel the taste of it lingering in his mouth. And it was enough for him to feel something again, something he thought was impossible to have when he started his journey to Godhood.

.

.

.

Barrow stopped when he saw Cale frowned,

That was a first,

Cale never showed any other expression except delight and happiness when he was with him. Did he do something wrong?

"What's the matter?" Barrow asked in a soft voice, something he himself was surprised about;

"It's..." Cale hesitated, "Voices, I always hear them around this parts in my head"

Voices?

Barrow looked around and scanned the area. He was by no means a mage, but he could sense mana to an extent after being surrounded by individuals who could.

"No one else heard them, I had asked. The voice kept on saying that they were hungry... They kept on repeating it again and again..."

Barrow frowned at that,

Hungry?

"I was confused at first, but it had the same feeling as when I was near the swamp"

An ancient power?

Here?

"Can you pinpoint where it's coming from?" He asked,

"Yes," Cale turned his head and pointed towards the direction of the slums "Over there,"

"Let's check it, maybe it's another ancient power,"

If it was a water or earth ancient power, he can take it for himself to balance his plate. If it's not, then the little one can have it.

After all,

The dominating Aura was a non attributed ancient power, so adding another one shouldn't clash in his plate and destroy him.

.

.

.

They arrived in front of the hill where the man eating tree was located;

Barrow had heard some rumors regarding this tree from a passing wind. Especially about how many humans had ended their lives here... and it left no traces of their remains because the tree ate them.