Chapter Seven

(Isabella's POV)

Jim Gordon was the one who told me the news. They had my father, Carmen and Michael Salsbury in custody, along with a couple of other men. At first the news companies were blowing up. What a story this was. A story which every person was invested in and I hated it. I noticed, however, that the stories started to fade and I heard a rumour that my father had paid the news companies out to keep as quiet as they could using the argument that it was bringing negativity to his usual popular status. He was able to pay them a large sum, and it looked as if it worked in most cases, but he still wasn't able to escape all of the talk.

Jim asked me to come to the GCPD. I didn't really want to because all I wanted to do was escape the media. I couldn't face it all. Jim was able to promise me that I'd be able to get drive into their lockup, a place in which only officers had access to. I agreed and asked if I could bring someone along. That someone, was Alfred. As much as I wanted to, I didn't have the nerve to ask Bruce. I didn't want to cause more speculation and after his dispute with Carmen, it probably wasn't a good idea him being here. Alfred had told me all about what happened back at Wayne Manor, and I was grateful that Bruce had defended me. At the moment, he was being the Bruce I knew, and I appreciated that. I had thought about him a lot since the other night. About how much I missed him, and about how much he had seemed to change because of my absence. Maybe at one point in the future, we could rekindle what we had, and to be honest, I don't think it had ever gone. Right now, however, I needed to concentrate on everything else going on.

"You ready?" Alfred asked as I climbed out of his car. I took a deep breath and nod. He closed the car door behind me, and offered me his arm. I took it and we made our way into the GCPD. A place I had never been before, or at least that's what I remembered. We were escorted to a room that was fairly dark where we both sat. Jim and another officer sat in front of us.

"Ms Montez, Mr Pennyworth, thank you for coming," Jim began. "As you know we have your father in custody. Thanks to finding Michael and his plea, we were able to arrest your father and Carmen. Which is also thanks to Mr Pennyworth here," Jim nodded gratefully at Alfred.

"How did you find Michael?" I asked.

"We didn't," Jim quietly said and there was a lot of disappointment in his voice. "When we got to him, him he was already tied up. He couldn't get far. Our best assumption was the Bat himself, but we aren't sure." I knew it would have been him and the thought made me smile.

"Your father has admitted it was he who sent Michael after you. While Carmen knew, he has said he wasn't behind the plan. Harry has expressed how sorry he is and that it was only supposed to scare you. You weren't supposed to get hurt. All of your belongings are in his possession and he said he will return them to you."

"I don't want them returned."

"Well, they are yours, Ms Montez. They belong to you."

"You can sell them and give the money to charity. I really don't want them." There wasn't anything special about the jewellery. Anything that Bruce had ever bought me I had left at Wayne Manor, just like the engagement ring. Whether he still had that or not was another question.

"We can do that if that's what you want. Now, in regards to your father, we have a lot to get through."

We must have sat in that room for a couple of hours. They asked if I wanted to press charges. Despite being hurt that my own father would want to intentionally scare and hurt me, I declined the offer and dropped the charges, much to Alfred's argument. He may be just a man, but he's the Mayor and even if I did press charges, the conviction wouldn't have been the result I wanted. He had an army of men, an army of supporters and he'd throw any amount of cash at it to protect himself, not caring how much he stepped on me in the meantime. The battle would have been tiring, stressful and it would have been useless. I was over the entire thing. I didn't care anymore and I just wanted it over with.