xxxvi. Fake

가짜

가짜

MINA SQUINTED AT the sun as she sat at the fountain of Marina Justice Park, her palm digging into the soft cast stone that made the fountain, along with the sculpture of Marina Hills, the mascot of the city along with the origin for her high school's name. The sun was a bit too bright for this late autumn day, a bit warmer than usual. It was distracting her from the camera that was in front of her, along with the team that was in charge of this photoshoot.

"Mina, look at the camera, please," said the photographer gently, a young man with a fedora stylishly placed on his head.

"S-Sorry, it's just the sun," Mina told him, pointing at the star in the sky that was making her barely able to see the camera. She was squinting while she was talking, and she wasn't even sure that she was directing her words to the right person.

"Let's take five, wait for some clouds to block the sun," said one woman from the team, and with those words, they dispersed, going to the small table they set under the tent by the trees. Mina sighed as she stood up, glancing at the fountain beside her, admiring the way the water flowed from Marina Hills' stone hand. She looked so peaceful, a striking contrast to the storm that was in Mina's head.

She saw the cars driving by, and she sneakily walked over to the fence surrounding the park, leaning her elbows on it as she watched the road. This seemed more appropriate to suit her mind, a parade of busy cars sweeping away in front of her, a few honks echoing through the cool air. Nothing was controlled, and that's how Mina was feeling at that moment. Ever since the fashion show actually, where she met Shadow for the first time. Just thinking about it sent a shiver up her spine.

Suddenly, a man jumped onto the ground beside her from above, nearly startling the heart out of Mina, and making her jump as well. She widened her eyes at the boy beside her, seeing Firedrake with his hair a bit of a mess from flying.

"Did I scare you? Sorry," Jungkook chuckled, leaning his elbow onto the fence casually and putting his hand on his waist.

"What are you doing here?" Mina blinked at him, confused as to why Firedrake would ever see the need to come by and say hi to Mina, and not Raven.

"I was just on a patrol, and saw you over here by yourself, so thought I'd just stop by, see if everything is okay," Jungkook hummed, instinctively buffing his chest as he spoke humbly, unknowingly trying to make himself seem like a cool, strong superhero to Mina, one of his best friends. "There aren't any villains, right? Nobody I need to save?"

Mina internally rolled her eyes at her partner's cockiness, and his overwhelming need to try hard in front of girls. "No, I think we're fine."

"What are you doing, anyways?" Jungkook motioned to the team of people not far from them. They were talking amongst themselves, snacking on some cookies that the photographer's assistant brought.