Chapter 4

"Let me go!" Varian demanded, fighting to be freed from his captors' grip.

"Let him go, he has nothing to do with this!" Eugene demanded.

"If he has to do with you, then he has everything to do with this," the man retorted.

They dragged the three of them into a courtyard where a large man was sitting on a throne.  The captors kicked them in the back of their knees to make them fall to their knees.  Varian hissed when his came in contact with the stoned path.

"Baron! Ha ha, long time no see!" Eugene said nervously.  "Glad to see you set up shop here in Vardaros now, in fact, we were just admiring what you've done with the place-"

"If you'd like to keep your tongue, I'd suggest you stop moving it. Now," Weasel stated as he prepared to punch him.

"Anthony, enough," the Baron interrupted.  Weasel obeyed and stepped back.  Baron then looked at his captives. "Quit playing games, Rider. I've been waiting for this moment. It's time to make amends for what you did to my Stalyan."

"Oh, right. The Stalyan incident…" Eugene chuckled.

"You mean he's still this mad over a horse?" Varian whispered to Lance.  "Why would you take his favorite horse?"

"Uhhhh… it's a bit more complicated than that…" Lance said.

"You really should let this whole Stalyan thing go. Come on, I mean it's ancient history, let's all just move on," Eugene said.

"Let's not."

The three turned around to look at the owner of the voice.  Eugene nervously cleared his throat. "Hello, Stalyan."

"That's a… that's a person…" Varian gaped.

"Hello, Rider." She walked past them, hitting Eugene on the back of his head and kissed the Baron on the cheek.

"I'm so confused." Varian looked at Eugene.

"Stalyan is the Baron's daughter, and Eugene's ex," Lance offered.

"Oh.  This all makes sense now.  The lengths an angry ex will go."

"This isn't a Flynnigan Rider story, kid," Eugene said.

Stalyan cleared her throat and Eugene turned his attention to her.  "Hey, Stalyan. How are ya? Look, before you get too upset, I can explain."

"Oh, I'm not upset, Rider, besides, what's to explain? You left me at the altar."

"You left her at the altar?"

Eugene ignored Varian's shock.  "Did I? Did I do that? Is that how it went down? Because that's not how I remember it, but hey, it was, it was, quite some time ago. Who's to say who did what that day? I mean-"

"Stop talking," she ordered, getting on her knees to be eye level with him.  "After what you did, I swore that if I ever saw you again, I would break a lot of bones."

"Fair, fair. We're talking about my bones, is that correct?"

"But, with time comes perspective. I realized that we were meant for each other, Flynn Rider. Partners in crime, partners in life. We can't change what we are."

"Wait, wha, wha- what are you talking about?"

Then Baron spoke up.  "I'm making you a proposition, Rider. Keep good on your promise you made to my daughter, and marry her."

"Waiting for the 'or'," Eugene said.

"Or... you, Strongbow, and your little pet troll will perish."

"Painfully," Weasel added.

"Wha- you can't make me marry her, Baron!"

"Oh, I'd like to give it a try." The Baron opened up his ring and a spider crawled out of it.

"Ah! It's a spider, Eugene, It's a spider! You know I hate s-s-spiders," Lance cried, starting to breathe hard. He understood what the spider could do.

"Not just any spider," the Baron said. "It's a Venomous Kai Spider. Its bite causes fever and delirium. Only when the swelling of the tongue and throat do you know the end is near… But you already know that." He dropped the spider onto Lance.

"Oh god, oh ah, the spider's bite, he's on me, he's on me, he's walking, he's walking he's on my hand, he's- Ah! Ow!" He slumped over on Eugene.

"No!" Varian cried in horror.  "You killed him?"

"No, the half-wit passed out from fear," the Baron muttered in annoyance.  "But he will be dead by nightfall. Unless, of course, you have this."  He pulled out a vial of orange liquid from his pocket. "The antivenom. Marry Stalyan, and this will be a wedding present from me."

"Trust me, Rider. It's meant to be," Stalyon said.

Eugene looked at Lance.  He let out a shaky breath.  "Fine."

"Perfect." The Baron grinned.  "Take them away.  Leave Rider with us."

Two men started to drag Varian and Lance away.  "Wait, Eugene!" Varian cried.

"Kid!  Lance-"

"No harm will come to them as long as you cooperate," the Baron warned.

Eugene's shoulders slumped as he watched them take them away.

"Now come with us," the Baron said. They went into the town where Eugene was brought backstage.  "We're going to announce the betrothal to my daughter."

Weasel was the first to step out to gain the people's attention.  "Alright. Shut your faces and listen up, you scum."

The Baron stepped out on stage. "People of Vardaros, I bring you cause for celebration. A glint of joy into your otherwise meaningless and pitiful lives. My people will be collecting gifts for the occasion, from each of you."

Eugene sighed in misery and Stalyan walked up beside him.  "Wow, you should see all the people out there."

"Stalyan, come on, this is stupid."

"I know it is, I told my dad the spider wasn't necessary, but you know bad guys. They have such a flair for drama."

"That's not what I meant."

"I know what you meant."

"Stalyan, I can't do this. I'm in love with someone else."

"Yeah, I know. We've all heard the story by now. How the daring nare-do-well thief rescued the lost princess from her tower. Let me ask you. Do you really think it's fair to ask a girl who spent the first eighteen years of her life in prison to give up her freedom for a life-long relationship with someone like you?"

"And you know exactly why I agreed to marry the first time, right?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"Stalyan, I think you should know something-"

"I am pleased to announce the re-engagement of my daughter, Stalyan," the Baron continued.

"That's my cue," she said, walking out on stage.

"And her fiancée, Flynn Rider."

Eugene took in a deep breath and walked onto the stage, looking over the crowd so he would not see their faces.

"Eugene!"

His heart sank.  He looked down at the woman calling his name.  "Rapunzel-"

"Eugene, I don't understand. What's going on?"

"Rapunzel, I-"

Stalyan set a hand on his shoulder.  "He's with us now."

"This is some kind of joke, right?" Rapunzel's eyes showed that her heart was slowly breaking.

"I, uh, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, Rapunzel. But I've made my choice," Eugene said, using all the strength he could manage to muster.  It wasn't much.  Not able to stand it anymore, he walked backstage with Stalyan.

"Eugene. Eugene! Eugene!" Rapunzel called, but he had no choice but to ignore.  She would understand in time why.