Chapter 41

Sunday’s broom race was a huge success and just about everyone on the island came out to take part, either as a competitor or as a spectator.

“Why didn’t you compete?” Tom asked Harry quietly as they stood near the finish line in the centre of Spellbridge waiting for the racers to arrive. “I thought you loved flying on a broom?”

“I do love flying, sure,” Harry whispered back, meanwhile keeping an eye on street, which was lined with a crowd of people all eager to see who the winner would be. “But I’m the Governor. I’m not exactly impartial in such events, and the last thing I want is for other participants to feel like they should let me win or something silly like that.”

“I suppose that’s a concern, yes,” Tom agreed with a thoughtful look.

“I’ll just cheer people on and hand out the prizes.” Harry craned his neck as he heard the crowd further up the street start cheering.

The racers came flying towards them at breakneck speed, the first bunch of them very close together, but it was still clear who the winner was once they crossed the finish line. Nigel Patterson, Libby the hairdresser’s son who was a fifth year Hufflepuff, finished first on his own broom that he used to play Chaser on the Hufflepuff Quidditch team. Second was Amira Saidi, their new Head of Muggle Affairs, who had played Quidditch back when she’d been a Gryffindor. And third was Draco Malfoy, who was the current Seeker for the Slytherin team and who flew without a doubt the most expensive broom.

“This has been a great way to see who has some real talent on a broom,” Sirius said to Harry as they got ready to award the winners their prizes. When Harry quirked an eyebrow at him, Sirius added with a huge grin, “We’re starting a Quidditch League, didn’t I tell you that yet?”

Shaking his head, Harry gave his godfather a fond look. “Not yet, but I’m not surprised, honestly.”

“You know, Harry would be great as a Quidditch player,” James said as he floated a little closer to them, Lily by his side. Harry’s whole family had wanted to see the broom race, and aside from Bernadine and Henry, they were all there. Harry no longer felt the need to hide his family away as he’d done at first, especially since most of Magica’s inhabitants were used to seeing Auntie Eustice around as she taught Kashvi everything about charming broomsticks.

“I bet you’d be great,” Sirius said, staring at Harry with hopeful eyes. “If he takes after you just a little bit in that regard, Prongs, he’d be more than good enough to fly on a Quidditch Team.”

Harry held up a hand to ward off his godfather’s enthusiasm. “I am far too busy to play Quidditch, I mean it. Don’t even tempt me.”

James and Sirius exchanged a look that clearly showed they would be tempting Harry at some point in the future. Probably a lot.

Harry wanted to protest some more but the winners appeared before them so he got to work awarding them their prizes. Afterwards there was a gathering of people in the pub and on town square, and the pub and other stores like the bakery did great business as people mingled while enjoying a pint and some pastries.

Tom and Harry socialized with many of the people there, taking this opportunity to talk to those around them, and listen to their concerns or suggestions. They didn’t stay too late, and like most people they headed home early in the evening.