Baby Groot Takes A Nap

----- September 19th, 2014 - The Milano -----

It was late, at least by the standards of everyone on the ship. Most of the Guardians were asleep. Even Drax was asleep.

But Y/N was still awake.

He was sitting alone on the upper deck of the Milano, next to the sealed windows of the cockpit. He definitely doesn't need sleep to live. But that doesn't mean he doesn't normally enjoy it.

Y/N continues staring at the wall, as he hears the tiny pitter-patter of footsteps. They continue to get closer and closer. Until the stop just next to him. And so he looks down to his left.

He sees little baby Groot standing there, looking up at him.

"Hello, Groot. Shouldn't you be sleeping?," Y/N says as he holds his hand down to allow Groot to climb on to it.

"I am Groot," Baby Groot whines in defiance.

Y/N lies Groot down on his chest to get him to sleep, "Shush. Hey. There, there. Be quiet. Go to sleep, Really. It'll help you grow big and strong, so stop whining. You've got a lot to look forward to, you know." 

Groot looks up toward him as he rests his head. Y/N just smiles as he gazes off into the distance. They both sit there in momentary silence.

"A life of adventure here with the others," Y/N continues, "A member of the Guardians of the Galaxy,... a persistent nagging sense of spiritual emptiness.. Save the tears for later, boy-o...," he rubs his temples before saying, "Oh, no, that was crabby.. No, that was old. But I feel old, Groot. I feel so old.... So near the end."

Groot looks at him confused, trying to understand what he means.

Y/N gathers his thoughts for a second. Trying to think over the loud snoring of Drax below deck. Y/N looks down at Groot, eventually letting out a grin.

"But you, Little Groot, you are so young, aren't you? And, you know, right now, everything's ahead of you. You could be anything. You'll walk among the stars. They are rather impressive."

Y/N hits a button on the wall of the cockpit, opening up the seals on the windows. The Milano was stationary in some part of the Galaxy.

Groot and Y/N gazed out the window. Y/N had a wide smile, while Groot gazed at the stars in awe.

Groot yawns out, "I.. am Groot.."

"Yeah.. You know, when I was little like you, I dreamt of the stars. I think it's quite fair to say in the language of your age, that I lived my dream, I owned the stage, gave it a hundred and ten percent..."

Y/N looks down to see Baby Groot had fallen asleep. He pats Groots back and places a small kiss on his head. Then goes back to gazing out amongst the stars.

"...I hope you have as much fun as I did, Groot."

____________________