14 ⭑ Does it look like I'm trying to be a bitch?

"Sleeping pills know sleeping dogs lie never far enough away. Glistening in the cold sweat of guilt."
Speeding cars by Imogen Heap.

✰ ✰ ✰

"Darling, can I ask you something?"

"Yeah?..." Curled in up the hot, pink, steamy downstairs bathtub, water raised all the way up to my curled up knees, I answered Niko, watching the ripples in the water vibrate with every plop of it from my fingertips.

The black curtain providing a warm shadow for me inside of the tub was gently peeled back, and Niko soon sat down on the edge of the tub, a toothbrush in his grasp, "What did you & Cherry talk about in that motel room that's got you so upset?"

"Mm..." Not having the energy to argue, nor the energy to explain, I moved my eyes back onto the water and traced holes where the bubbles parted., "Nothing. M'fine. It's just that time of year where..." I searched for the right choice of words and settled on, "the world gets a little foggy. N', my head gets a little foggy too."

"I can tell." Niko muttered, giving me a small, uncomfortable smile, "But it seems different this time 'round? Is it?" he reached to brush a strand of my drenched hair form my face, "You're quieter."

"I'm not quieter." I muttered quietly, contradicting myself on purpose as I looked up at him, "There's just more happening in life for you to be loud about."

Niko pulled his hand back, tilting his head at me, "I haven't seen you take a bubble bath in three years, and you didn't talk shit to Cherry for nearly two days. I think somethings' different this time round.' Whether you realize it or not." he squinted slightly at me, "Not to mention, I came home tonight to broken glass and a New York area code glued to my voicemail machine."

Steam rose up against my nostrils and I closed my eyes, leaning my head against my folded up arms perched up on my knees.

"What did she want?"

"What she always wants. Me to come back." I whispered tiredly, my eyes aching heavy from the bags underneath them, "Me to... care about her after everything. But-I can't. And I told her that. I always tell her that."

"Then stop telling her."

I blinked my eyes open lazily, "Easier said than done."

"That seems like your motto' for everythin' nowadays, huh?" Niko reached for my resting hand and picked it up, kissing the back of it over and over until he reached my palm. He kissed the inside only once, "Don't be long, okay? Come to bed soon."

I nodded slightly and slipped my hand back into the tub, engulfing it in warmth while he stood back up, kissed my head and left the bathroom.

The door gently closed and I moved the curtain again, shading myself while I leaned back to find comfort in the warm water. I laid my head on the edge of the tub and leaned sideways to watch the window up above through the slit in the curtain, where the night sky lingered.