Twenty-eight: Nude

The rooftop party beat bright in the deepening Venetian night. Tables huddled against the walls and railings, pushed aside to make room for a dance floor, and guests filled the cleared space with giddy laughter and questionable dance moves. Splashing echoed from the pool, where a dozen people in designer bathing suits batted around a giant inflatable ball in a game approximating volleyball. Candles on the tables flickered a dim light over smiling faces and handshakes sealing deals that would put names into the credits of some upcoming film.

No matter how messy the situation on the yacht earlier, Carmen's afterparty was undoubtedly a success.

In a sheltered space where they had retreated from the dancing to catch their breath and let sweat cool against night-kissed skin, Vera leaned close to Sharise under the throbbing music and said, "Have I told you that you look absolutely stunning tonight?"

"You may have mentioned it once or twice." A smile caught in the corners of brown eyes.

"Sorry. It's distracting, how gorgeous you are. I can totally relate to Fatima Bhatia never giving up on asking you to model for her."

Sharise chuckled, warm as a bubbling bath. "I suppose you do have that in common."

"I still can't believe you didn't tell me that you know her so well."

"It never seemed relevant. Besides, you would have been insufferable if I had."

"You know what, I can't even argue with that." Vera grinned up at her. "Think you'll go to the Paris show?"

"I know you'd like to."

"That's not–" Vera waved her hands around. "I mean, yeah, of course. I would love to go to a Bhatia show at Fashion Week. But I don't want you to feel like you have to go just because I want to. Would it be fun for you? You still seem to have a lot of friends in the business. And I know you still care about fashion. Your wardrobe is immaculate."

"Thank you." A shout from the pool drew her attention. She smoothed a palm over her hip as she watched the striped ball bounce between outflung fingertips. "It would be fun to go to Paris. But after Venice, we have Toronto. And the film's reception has been fantastic. We need to start thinking about Carmen's Academy Award campaign."

"The Oscars aren't until next spring."

"She's going to have to hustle. Everyone knows her, but no one is out here saying it's her time. Not after all the teen romances."

"Don't you get vacation?" Vera asked, only half-joking.

In the pool, Carmen shrieked with laughter.

Sharise pinched the bridge of her nose between two fingers. "I was hoping this trip would feel more like a vacation," she admitted.

"Oh my god, same." Vera huffed out a breath. But she realized as she said it that it wasn't quite true. The anxiety she'd been carrying like a second skin seemed to have peeled off. There was something about the cool night air and the lingering headiness of the wine and the sheer giddy thrill of dancing close with Sharise that had swept it all away. Carmen's performative friendliness with Marina didn't hurt, either. It was so over the top that Vera thought it might actually be real.

Everything was going to work out. She could finally think about what was next. Next for her career— and for her relationship. After all, hadn't she made a deal with Jay?

She set her hand against Sharise's wrist. "If you could fly anywhere in the world, right now, where would you go?"

Sharise frowned thoughtfully. "Right now? I don't know."