Chapter 48

Bethany's POV

I stared at Vanessa as she scribbled across her notepad. She had her laptop open in front of her and her lip between her teeth. She was concentrating on this so hard, something I couldn't seem to do. I was completely stuck thinking about this afternoon, and the events that occurred.

As I sat in the well lit restaurant, my heart continued to pound completely out of my chest. I was absolutely astonished by how quickly everything was moving, but how right it felt.

"You haven't wiped that smile off your face since you got here..." She comments while continuing to look down at her paper.

"You didn't even look up." I laugh. "How'd you know?"

"Because I can tell by your body language." She shrugs casually.

"Sorry, I'll get back to thinking." I respond quickly, to which she nods. She was taking this entire situation more seriously than I ever could, but I didn't mind. If she wasn't taking this seriously, then I'd never be able to sue Modest!.

I sat there, waiting for her to look up from that damn pad of paper, but I couldn't take it anymore. Even on vacation, I was still doing work.

"Where's Jack?" I ask while she's in the middle of a sentence.

"Niall's." She shrugs again, but even I can see her porcelain skin turning a deep shade of red.

"WHAT?" The word just pops out of my mouth extremely loud, making every head in the restaurant turn towards us. She finally lifts her eyes up to mine but quickly sways them around the room. She gives everyone an apologetic smile and gives me a glare.

"What?" She asks and I roll my eyes at her.

"Why's he at Niall's?"

"Because Niall offered to stay with him and Jack seemed to enjoy the idea of that." She was done writing at this point, obviously enjoying the subject of the Irish blonde more than suing a company... Who wouldn't?

"Do you like him?" I ask bluntly and I see her cheeks grow even redder- if that's possible.

"He's a wonderful guy."

"Oh shush. You know I mean in more of a romantic way." She takes a minute to think about her answer. She leaves her mouth slightly parted as she thinks about her answer, a small furrow between her brows.

"I don't know."

"Oh my God you do!" I accuse and she opens her mouth to say something but I don't allow her to.

"What about that guy you were seeing back in LA?" I gasp.

"He ended it that day at lunch. He said he just wasn't feeling it and didn't want to hop into a serious relationship unless he was feeling it." She shakes her head and looks down at the papers again.

"Niall likes you too." I blurt out and I immediately cover my mouth. Shit.

"What?" She asks confused and I shake my head back and forth.

"You weren't suppose to know that." I blink.

"He likes me?"

"Is it not obvious?" I let out a small chuckle. Her face contorts in confusion and I take a sip of my white wine I decided to have. She sinks back into her chair, a heavy look of thinking stuck on her face.

"I just don't understand." She shakes her head.

"He likes you... but he thinks you have a thing with that guy and he doesn't want to be the one to wreck anything."