(I) Chapter 4 - Bet

[Takeji's POV]

"Thank you for walking me home Takeji-kun..."

"No worries! Thank you for spending your time with me today!" I smiled at her.

"Okay Takeji-kun, you take care on your way—"

"Naruki-san!"

"Hmmm?"

"This is it... It's now or never... I don't think I'd get another chance to let you know how I feel if I let this moment slip away from my hands. Naruki-san, this is my genuine feeling for you..."

"Naruki-san, I—"

"I'm sorry Takeji-kun! Please let me answer this phone call first."

"Huh...? Y—Yeah... Sure Naruki-san... Take your time..."

Naruki-san walked away from me to answer the phone call. I'm unable to hear what the conversation is about but I waited patiently for her. It took some time but she finally finished the phone call. She's approaching me so I had to say it again.

"Naruki-san there's something I need to—"

"Takeji-kun, I'm really really sorry, I need to go now. I hope you forgive me for this. I really need to go. Thank you for today, I really enjoyed it! Please take care on your way!" Naruki-san waved her goodbye and hurriedly walk in her direction opposite to me.

"O—Okay... See you..." I sighed. I don't even know if she was even able to hear me anymore.

I decided to just go home and probably get some rest. As I walk home, I tried to just think about the good things that happened to me today.

"At least I got to spend time with her right? I even got know more about her. I guess I'll try again tomorrow..."

I arrived home and found Misako playing with her phone.

"Nii-chan! How did it—"

"Sup Misako..."

"Nii-chan? Are you alright?"

"Huh? Yeah... I'm just tired, sorry"

"O—Okay... There's food on the table if you like. Mom and dad are out buying groceries for tomorrow."

"I'm fine... Thanks Misako..." I uttered. I don't know but I didn't really feel like eating. All that was coming up on my mind was just to lay down and rest. 

"I know I had a good time with Naruki-san today... But... Why does it feel  like my heart is tired..."

Monday arrived and it was already lunchtime. I found Nino hanging out on our usual spot. We started to have some conversation as we normally do. It feels like this has been our meeting place though it was just something we indirectly decided together since no one wanted to give up the spot.

"So...? What happened?" She asked.

"Well... I tried to tell her but we got interrupted when she received a phone call. It seemed really important to her though..."

"Okay...? What happened after that?"

"She said that she needed to be somewhere else, then she left."

"I see..."

"Yeah..." I muttered and I suddenly felt discouraged when I remembered what went down yesterday.