14

Her parents looked at her with interest.

“Oh, my dear.” Her father said. “That is wonderful. I can tell it’s pretty serious.”

She nodded in confirmation.

“When are we meeting him?” her mother asked.

“Soon.” She answered. “But I’ll be precise when we decide.”

“Are you getting married?” her mother asked. “You’re too young.”

“Hey, you were twenty when I married you.” Her father reminded her mom. “She’s twenty-two going on twenty-three.”

Her mother shrugged resignedly.

“How long have you known him?” her father asked.

“For a long time,” Zee answered without thinking. To keep things simple, she guessed she could say that.

“Okay, that’s good.” Her mother said. “We can’t wait to meet him.”

***

Michael and her parents met two days later. Her parents were immediately taken with him. He was handsome and a typical eligible bachelor, they told her later.

She had thought his presence in her home would be awkward but it wasn’t. He was interested in her parent’s collections which was a plus on his part.

He had driven to their home wearing a gray tailored shirt and black fitted pants and he looked so imposing without trying. She was wearing an amber-colored dress he had sent to her home a day before after he asked for her statistics in an SMS.

The dress reminded her of his eye color. She had hesitated to wear it because the dress had come with a note that simply said wear it tomorrow. 

She had worn something else but as the time for his arrival drew near, she became nervous and changed into the dress he wanted.

Her mum and the housekeeper had prepared the lunch. He had brought wine from other brands as well as his brand. He impressed her parents. He enamored even Israel. She suspected that Israel would grow up to be a social person.

Michael played with Israel, ruffling his hair. He complimented her mother and housekeeper for the food. He thanked her parents for having a precious jewel, like her, and accepting him as their future Son-In law. He told them that she was a gift to him and promised to take care of her. She played her role, smiling politely and looking content.

After lunch, he thanked her parents and begged to take his leave. She hated how easily her family had accepted him but there was nothing she could do about it.

“If you don’t mind, I will love a moment with her before I leave.” He said while taking her hand in his.

“Okay, sure.” Her mother answered.

“No problem at all.” Her father supported her.

Hence, she followed him outside to his car and he had her join him inside so that they were alone.

She was fiddling with the hem of her dress and she kept her eyes on her fingers. She was aware of his gaze on her but she refused to look at him.

“You’re nervous.” It was a simple statement of fact.

She nodded, not bothering to deny it.

“Look at me and speak out.” He said impatiently.

She reluctantly met his gaze. “Yes,” she mumbled.