Super Duo

it was the day of the j.v-varsity game, and i can say we're pretty ready. coach orion made us clean garbage off the rink and that was...something. but, he gave us duck jerseys, i knew he'd come around eventually.

"alright team," i sighed as we stood in a huddle, "this is it. what we've all been waiting for. everything we've done since we stepped foot in this school has literally led up to this. so, let's make it count. i know you guys can be good players when you want to, so actually try today, will you?" i joked earning a couple sarcastic remarks. "but seriously, let's do good. think about the looks on their faces once we beat them."

"ready?" coach orion questioned walking into the locker rooms. "ready." we responded.

we skated out to the rink door, getting ready to skate out on to the rink. charlie looked at me and i nodded, "for hans." he stated, and i patted his helmet. "for hans." i repeated.

i skated out first, the rest of the team following, and surprisingly the crowds cheers got louder. i guess we weren't the only people waiting for this game.

we all got into a formation of a circle and skated around a couple times, a norwegian symbol of respect. for hans.

i realized how many people are actually watching when i looked up to the stands. mrs. conway, adam's family, octavia and viola, and oddly enough my sister. i remembered my conversation with her from last night.

"hey," a voice i recognized but never hear, echoed over the phone. "uhm, jenny?" i questioned rubbing my eyes. it was late and the dorm phone started to ring, and of course, it was my turn to answer it.

"yeah, it's me. i'm just calling to uh, check in." i had to cover my mouth from the laugh that came out. "sorry, but uh..are you like, drunk or something?" i questioned, sitting down on the spinning chair next to the phone.

"funny, but no. i really do miss you. i know our relationship hasn't been the best, but i want to fix it." i, once again, had to hold in my laughter. "where's this coming from? is this some sort of prank or something? i bet joey's standing right there next to you trying not to laugh."

"scarlett, can you not have trust issues for like, a minute please. i'm really trying to fix things."

"sorry, but it's kinda hard to do that when we literally haven't talked in years."

"i don't know if you remember but..we used to be close, y'know. i used to walk you to school everyday, pack you lunch because mom and dad were never home to. i'd pull you right beside the entrance and tell you if anyone bothered you, come to me. i knew you'd have it all handled if anyone ever did, you're tough. but one day, you came out of school, you seemed upset; quiet and picking at your nails. you used to do that a lot when you were upset, and when you were nervous or thinking or even bored, you'd bite at the inside of your cheek..."

i immediately stopped biting at the inside of my cheek once i heard that.

"and i asked you what was wrong. you never told me exactly what happened, but i figured someone was messing with you. and it had to be somewhat bad because it was affecting you. so i told you to let it go and do whatever you had to do to make yourself feel better. then the next day i dropped you off, you seemed excited about something. i was home that day, i left early with a headache, and we got a call from the school. they were looking for mom or dad and i told them it was just me at home, they said i should come in as soon as i can. i walked into the office and you were sitting there with a big smile. i asked you what had happened and..."

she stopped to laugh and i think i heard a sniffle. even my eyes were watering, i remembered this. this was when we actually acknowledged each other.

"you said, 'i did what you said to do. you were right, i do feel better.' then, i found out you punched some boy in the face. we went home and watched movies on the couch all day."