Chapter 18.

"You're...but I-" I stuttered, the broken sentence tumbling out of my mouth involuntarily.

Both of them halted their argument and turned towards me. Zach furrowed his brows, staring at me with his heated brown eyes. I looked between them and mentally scolded myself for not noticing sooner - Scarlett had the same colour hair but slightly lighter, the same sharp features, high cheekbone and the same shaped eyes. It didn't take a scientist to figure out that they were related. I had just assumed that they were something else. I blushed.

"You're his sister?" I blustered. She tilted her head to the side, clearly confused by the sudden question.

"Yes. Didn't I already tell you?" she asked, clearly perplexed.

"I'm Scarlett, I'm his-"

Sister.

Oh. I had already left before she could.

The realisation hit me like a ton of bricks and I was rattled with guilt. I was angry at Zach for nothing. Dropping my gaze, I sighed. I was such an idiot. They were siblings not lovers. Then I suddenly remembered their embrace in his office. I frowned.

"But why were you-" I began but Zach cut me off.

"You." he pointed at me with his index finger. "Come with me."

His voice was thick with authority causing me to stand up without question. Like a magnet, my legs moved on their own accord and I walked to his side. He glanced down at me sternly, his chestnut eyes darkening.

"Zach," Scarlett started.

"No." he hissed. "I have had enough of this. Go home, Scarlett."

Hurt flashed across her tawny eyes before she pursed her lips and exhaled quickly through her nose. She nodded, smiling reassuringly at me before she left the café quietly. The little bell above the door tinkled through the silence - everyone in the room had long since stopped their conversations to watch us.

I looked to the man stood beside me. He sighed as his eyes scanned the silent room before they returned to me.

"Come." he muttered gruffly.

Taking my hand before I could object he practically dragged me out of the café and strode across the street. He was barely even looking where he was going as he towed me along like a rag doll and I panicked, squeaking as the car rushed past. I had already had more than enough bad luck with traffic. I glanced up at Zach to see his eyes narrowed into a determined stare as he stalked forwards. His warm hand was large as it enveloped mine and I tried to ignore the sensations I felt as it gripped my own tightly. I could barely keep up with his furious pace - almost tripping on my own feet as he veered around the corner.

We reached Ebony Records and Zach pushed through the glass doors, pulling me forward with so much force I stumbled and bumped into his back. He paused, glancing at me for a moment before letting go of my hand and proceeding to walk through the lobby. I tried not to feel disappointed when he let go, but my hand suddenly felt cold and abandoned.

My flat shoes tapped lightly on the marble floor as I scurried towards the elevator to keep up with Zach when I suddenly spotted a flash of blonde hair and a white shirt. Noah was exiting the elevator, his head down and his grey eyes dull as he headed towards the recording studios.

"Noah!" I called.

As if he hadn't heard me, he turned - but I knew he had when he started to walk quicker. I was going to call him again when a strong arm hooked around my waist and pulled me into the elevator. I struggled as Zach held me.

"Leave him." his low voice ordered indignantly.

The metal doors closed as I caught the last glimpse of Noah disappearing down the corridor. He ignored me. A knot clogged the back of my throat and my heart dropped. I couldn't believe it. He must hate me. I stared down at the floor dejectedly.

"Lou." He rumbled, notifying me of the wide open doors that signified we were at our floor.

I followed him out of the elevator and through the workplace silently. Everyone was busy working except Melinda, who had tottered over, her kind eyes full of concern.

"Mr Caldwell? Is everything alright?" she asked.

Zach stopped in his tracks and nodded at her silently.

He was annoyed. I could tell. I felt as if I was walking alongside an unstable time bomb that could blow any minute. We entered his office, the door closing softly behind me as he stood at his desk. The air felt hot and thick in my lungs as I struggled not to crack under the conflicted atmosphere. Dark eyes watched me from afar beneath his heavy brows and he rubbed his hand along his stubble covered jaw. He cleared his throat.

"Who exactly did you think Scarlett was?" he demanded quietly.

My mouth went dry. There was no way I was getting out of this one. His gaze found mine, preventing me from looking away.

I didn't dare say anything.

What could I say?

Knotting my fingers together nervously, I chewed my bottom lip as I tried to rack my brain to think of a plausible excuse. Sadly for me, my brain had completely deserted me in my time of need and I was left to fend for myself against the gorgeous yet agitated man who had begun to walk purposefully toward me with such perfect posture it should have been illegal.

The exotic scent of his aftershave swept over me and I inhaled deeply. His heated aura surrounded me as he pushed through my personal space confidently until we were chest to chest. He brought his lips to my ear and his hot breath blew across my neck.

"You thought we were together." he claimed quietly.

I swallowed hard.

"I didn't." I affirmed timidly.

Stepping back to give myself some room to breathe, I pressed my back against the door.

I stared at him, his obsidian eyes watching me intently. As he sauntered forwards, he clicked his tongue distastefully and ran a hand through his hair. When he reached me, he took my wrist in his hand again gently.

Kneeling on the floor, his mesmerising eyes locked onto mine as he pushed my sleeve up my arm. Zach clenched his jaw furiously when he caught sight of the bruise but he quickly closed his eyes for a moment to calm down before he opened them again.

"What did I tell you about lying?" he murmured darkly, his soft mouth brushing against my arm as he spoke.

I wasn't sure if he was genuinely asking me a question or whether it was rhetorical as he began to kiss my bruised skin delicately but I chose not to answer anyway. Each kiss moved further over my bruise until he had kissed every inch of the ugly mark and my cheeks flamed with embarrassment.

"Who did this, Lou?" he whispered, pain evident in his tone. I stayed silent.

Watching as he rose to his feet, I quickly pulled my sleeve down over my bruise again. Zach sighed as he lifted his hand and reached out, his fingers caressing my cheek, down my neck and across my collar bone, causing tingles to shoot through my nerves. I sucked in a sharp breath as he leaned in, his rich coffee coloured eyes never leaving mine.

"This is not part of our professional agreement and I should think of the consequences but-" he muttered under his breath as he began to trail his warm lips across my jawline.

"Now I am just past caring." he breathed as he fused his lips to mine.

____________________________________________________

Soooooo, I updated!

Not sure if I like this chapter or not.

I hope you liked it!

As much as I appreciate your silent reads it'd be really nice to hear what you think too!

Thanks for reading!

Sweets

Xoxo