16

It wasn't the first time Mu Xi had been interrupted by the emperor when talking to Shen Yu. Compared with her initial fear, she now felt much calmer.

Meng Gonggong, who came in behind Shang JunLin, ordered the palace attendants to put down the official reports, then he withdrew. The other servants followed one by one.

In the twinkling of an eye, only Shen Yu and Shang JunLin remained in the room.

Shen Yu looked at the empty room, walked over to the emperor, and tilted his head to look up at him. "Will Your Majesty tell me?"

Shang JunLin looked at him quietly. "If the noble monarch asks, this emperor will answer."

"Your Majesty really knows?" Shen Yu was startled. He thought Shang JunLin was asking rhetorically. Imperial Physician Gu was just a doctor. If Shang JunLin bothered to investigate him, it meant he must be involved with Imperial Censor Zhang's case.

In Shen Yu's previous life, Imperial Physician Gu experienced tragic consequences. Was that because he was involved with Imperial Censor Zhang somehow? But if that was true, why was he still alive and well in this life?

The doubts in Shen Yu's eyes were too obvious. Shang JunLin frowned. "What is the noble monarch thinking about?"

"I'm wondering why Your Majesty is paying so much special attention to Imperial Physician Gu..." Shen Yu blurted. After saying this, he realized it sounded wrong, so he quickly added, "I mean, I'm curious why Your Majesty knows so much about him...."

The more he spoke, the smaller Shen Yu's voice became.

Shang JunLin was angry enough to laugh. And the inexplicable emotions that surged in his heart a moment ago were swept away. "Then why does the noble monarch think this emperor would pay 'special' attention to Imperial Physician Gu?"

He specifically emphasized the word "special".

"No matter why Your Majesty is paying attention to him, if there's one specific reason, Your Majesty should stop thinking about it." Shen Yu stared at Shang JunLin with burning eyes.

What reason was that? Just as Shang JunLin was about to ask, Shen Yu continued.

"Your Majesty promised me no new people would enter the harem."

Shang JunLin boggled. "What makes you think this emperor has such thoughts?"

"Why else would Your Majesty pay attention to Imperial Physician Gu?" Shen Yu quietly threw the question back.

"Why else? Of course it's because of you...." Shang JunLin responded abruptly. He caressed Shen Yu's neck, giving him a rather oppressive squeeze. "Noble Monarch Shen is certainly brave to throw this emperor's words back at me."

Shen Yu didn't dodge or shrink away, but he slightly lowered his eyes. "I'm just a little worried. After all, in this world all I have is Your Majesty."

"Shen Yu." Shang JunLin rubbed the skin of Shen Yu's neck. Then he pinched Shen Yu's chin and forced him to lift his head. "Don't play petty games with this emperor."

"Why would Your Majesty think that?" Shen Yu suddenly smiled. His eyes and eyebrows curved, and his eyes seemed full of light. "I belong to Your Majesty now. Isn't it normal to worry that Your Majesty has someone else?

"Your Majesty." Shen Yu covered the man's hand. "Your Majesty's words are gold. I take everything you say seriously."

Shang JunLin's heart jumped. He immediately relaxed his grip as if he'd been scalded and slightly averted his gaze. "Naturally, this emperor is a man of my word."