II.VII

A/N: I have a lot to say for myself. Don't have much of an explanation. That'll be at the end. This and chapter 19 were originally one chapter but it was getting to be somewhere upwards of 15,000 words so I split them up. That one is hopefully coming soon. (and by coming soon I mean I'm going to finish it tonight or tomorrow if it's the last thing I do)

 (and by coming soon I mean I'm going to finish it tonight or tomorrow if it's the last thing I do)

Song: "As the World Caves In" by Sarah Cothran, "Dust to Dust" by The Civil Wars

"Hundreds of buildings across the city are out of power as yet another explosion rocks the city. The bomb was reported to have gone off just over an hour ago." The television set rambles on in the background of the crowded police station.

The team bustles around one another, trying to coordinate with the frantic police officers. "Do we have any more information about the location of the bomb?" JJ walks over to stand with Hotch, staring up at the television set.

"It's close. Midtown. That's all we know." Hotch's responses are short, clipped. His mind has already traveled to the worst possible case. He's just waiting for his team to catch up with his thinking. The FBI has made their presence abundantly clear in the city. There's no way that the unsub wouldn't know about the team. They gave a press conference just the other day. Correction. You gave the press conference with him. Your face on that TV. How could he not have thought about this? The press conference clearly made you a target.

"Injuries?" Prentiss looks around at the team, finally taking note of the one missing member. Hotch watches as each member of the team starts to note your profound absence.

"Reports of a car explosion near midtown, right outside the Hotel Pennsylvania. Currently, police have evacuated the area and are looking for the cause of the explosion and any possible victims." The television volume is as loud as it goes but the bustling police station drowns it out.

"Wait, wait. Did they just say right outside the Hotel Pennsylvania?" Rossi speaks loudly, trying to get everyone's attention. The team inches closer to the TV. The precinct is still too loud.

"Hotch..." Morgan trails, glancing over at Hotch. Hotch's eyes are glued to the television. The muscles in his jaw tense and shift under the skin. He told you to stay at the hotel. He wouldn't let you leave. He thought it was safer there. Why would he think that you'd be safe anywhere but by his side? "Please tell me that she's not still at the hotel." Morgan's voice drops low as if speaking too loudly will make it any less true.

"Everyone quiet." Hotch's commanding voice bellows through the station. He ignores Morgan's question. The commotion mellows down to a low-level buzz of walkie-talkies and muttered directives.

Hotch takes a step closer, trying to hear exactly what the reporters are saying. "Firefighters and ambulances have been dispatched to the hotel. The entirety of the block has been shut down so plan on alternate routes. Traffic will be heavy in the area. Officials have relayed that there is no immediate danger, no need to flee the city in a panic. This is an isolated event. Possibly just a faulty gas leak in a car."