S I X

Baby Fever

V A L E R I U S '    P O V :

"I'm going to cry!" Katerina gushes, her hand slightly covering her mouth.

I stare at it in slight disgust. The wrinkled pink skin, the odd baldness. It's fat cheeks makes it's face look all blown out.

It's hideous.

"He's so beautiful!"

She has to be blind in at least one eye.

It stares me deep in the eyes. Trying to suck my soul I presume.

"V! Baby, he's looking at you! That means he likes you! Awe."

"That thing is a killer, Katerina. Practically the devil himself."

She laughs like I'm joking.

"Hey! Leave my baby out of your absurd hatred!" Rosetta says from her hospital bed. She lends me a snide look and I ignore it.

Katerina coos at the small human with a bright smile lighting her face.

"It's not absurd." I retort. "It's practical."

"I promise I'm going to be the best zia ever!" Katerina whispers to it while her best friend and I hash out or arguing.

"You're insane—"

"V, hold him! He's looking at you." Katerina smiles at me. "Can he hold him?" She asks Rosetta.

"Fine." Rosetta says at the same time her husband Tito mumbles a, "No." She gives him a look. "Let him hold our baby. Maybe it'll unfreeze his cold heart."

"I'm not holding it."

Katerina gives me sad eyes, pouting her lip. "Baby, please. It'll make me so happy." I try to say no but I don't want to disappoint her.

"Make it fast."

She squeals, clapping her hands.

Katerina shows me how to hold my hands, she explains how gentle I need to be and suddenly I'm nervous.

It's hit me now that this is the first baby I've ever come to see, let alone hold. I'm not good at gentle and I'm certainly not good with children. Hurting people is something I'm good at. Though, the thought of holding a tiny creature who knows no bad nor good, makes me want to achieve the complete opposite. I don't want to break it.

Slowly, it's placed in my arms and immediately I'm frozen like stone.

I don't look at it. I don't want to look at it. It makes a shouting noise and Katerina coos at it. I swallow down the weird feeling in my throat.

"He's smiling! V, look!" Katerina coos. I shake my head no repeatedly. "Oh don't be like that! He likes you."

My eyes flicker down gradually, getting a close up view of it.

Katerina is telling the truth. It has a gummy smile placed on its face. It's brown eyes shown brightly at me.

I don't like this.