04.8

[act four; chapter eight     -     geryon and ghost summons]

Percy had gone off to clean the dirtiest stables ever. While he was doing that, Annabeth was broodingly glaring at Geryon and occasionally looked at Andromeda, almost like she was afraid the redhead would disappear out of thin air. Everytime their eyes connected, it was like a silent conversation, going back and forth between them, promising each other things they probably shouldn't promise.

Donnie had stayed right at his sister's side, holding one of her hands in his own. He leaned his head on her shoulder as she stared out at nothing in particular. Her eyes seemed lost, at least to anyone who really cared to look at them. They would see a girl whose other half was finally returned to her; they would see a girl who was very suddenly, after many years, beginning to understand the weight of every expectation, every prophecy, every power. She understood it, in that moment, that the Fates had a destiny for her, a path that she was supposed to follow. And for a moment, just a brief, nearly non-existent moment, she wished she weren't alive. Not truly, anyway. That maybe she could be in Elysium, living in eternal peace.

But that was another thing. How did she know, how would she ever know, if she was meant for that path after death? How would she know if she had done enough? Gods, she wanted to scream at the gods, at the Fates, at the world.

Her attention was pulled from her thoughts at the sight of one of her favorite people. Walking towards them, Percy looked tired—no, exhausted. His raven hair was disheveled and his sea green eyes seemed tired, just like the rest of him, but there was still a little spark there, and when amethyst met green, she knew they would be okay.

The deck was set up for a party. Streamers and balloons decorated the railing. Geryon was flipping burgers on a huge barbecue cooker made from an oil drum. Eurytion lounged at a picnic table, picking his fingernails with a knife. The two-headed dog sniffed the ribs and burgers that were frying on the grill. Andromeda, Donnie, Tyson, Grover, Annabeth, and Nico were all tossed in a corner, tied up like rodeo animals, with their ankles and wrists roped together and their mouths gagged.