Chapter 7

Varian held back shouts of pain.  He was certain that the Baron had just shattered his wrist with his boot.  He was only putting more pressure on it.  Then the man lifted his other foot to stomp on his head and Varian covered his face with his free arm.

The man that Varian had previously thrown dirt in his eyes, suddenly leapt onto the man, knocking him off Varian.  The latter laid there gasping for a shred of breath.  Then he rolled over, picking up the vial of antidote, still intact.  He let out a sigh of relief.

"Kid!" Andrew deflected an attack on Varian before he helped him up.

"I need to get the antidote to Lance," he explained.

"He's in the mansion in a guest room," Vex said, running up to him.

"How do you know this?" Andrew asked.

"A little bird told me." She gestured to an unconscious thug on the ground.

"Vex, show me where," Varian said.

She nodded and they ran into the mansion.  Vex led the way to the room where they found Lance in a bed.  "Lance!" He cried, shaking his shoulder a little.

"Lance, wake up.  Say something, anything-"

"Clovis. You grew a goatee. Heheheh."

"His tongue is swollen." Varian poured the liquid in his friend's mouth.

Vex leaned over.  "Think he'll pull through it?  Looks pretty dead to me."

"Clovis. You shaved your goatee…"

"Do I have facial hair?" Varian patted his chin, but remembered that he had gloves on.

"Not even a shadow, kid."

They waited for a few minutes until the door swung open.  Cassandra and Rapunzel ran through, pulling Varian into a hug.  "Ow! My wrist!"

"You're hurt!" Rapunzel cried.  "Your cheek is swollen too."

"I'm fine.  I've had bruises before," Varian said.

"Let me wrap up your wrist for you," Cassandra offered.  She found some bandages in a drawer and took off Varian's glove.  She wrapped it while they waited for Lance to show signs of recovery.

"Everything is all dealt with," Andrew said as he walked in with the others.

Eugene wrapped an arm around Rapunzel.  "Hey, Varian.  That was pretty awesome when you got that antidote."

"Don't encourage him," Cassandra warned.

"For pulling a stunt that you know full well you would pull?" Varian retorted, but then he smirked.  "I learned from the best, didn't I?"

She tightened the bandage and Varian hissed.  "Don't follow my example."

"So what's with the lady with the face paint and the muscle man?" Eugene asked, pointing a thumb at Adira and her brother.

"I am Adira. Look, I am a friend. And I am here to make sure you get to the end of this journey you're embarking on." She hands Rapunzel a piece of a scroll. "Listen, I don't have all the answers.  But now that I've seen all that I have, I have no doubt. These rocks are not looking for you as I had first assumed."

"They're looking for me," Varian said.

"Exactly.  We thought the one who bore the moon powers was dead.  That is until today."

"Why did you think that the moon holder was dead?" Rapunzel asked.

"It is true.  I never found the body, but your crib was stained in blood and the scratches indicated there was a wild animal," Adira's brother began.