Chapter 24 - Take Care

Arabella's POV

The bright sunlight burned orange beneath my lids, I groaned a little as I turned in bed. My hands habitually reaching out towards the left side of the bed, but again I was greeted with emptiness instead of his warm skin. It was early in the morning, the birds outside were still chirping away and I could pick up the smell of fresh dew forming on leaves.

I rubbed my eyes, they were still sore from the crying and lack of sleep. Letting out a little sigh, I walked to the bathroom. I took a quick, cold shower, re-freshening myself before changing into a pair of denim shorts and a plain white t shirt. I hung my towel around my neck, occasionally bringing it up and rubbing it against my damp hair.

There was a knock on the door, I assumed it was one of the servants and walked over to open it. I let out a small gasp when it was Nathaniel who was standing before me instead.

He had his hair sleeked back elegantly, he was dressed formally in a suit, looking devilishly handsome. But his usually vibrant eyes were lackluster, he looked like he hasn't slept in days. As much distaste as I held for him right now, my heart still ached at the sight.

"Good morning Ara." He said politely with a slight smile.

I returned his greeting warily, opening the door wider to let him in.

He walked in slowly, taking a little look around before sitting on the edge of the bed. He gestured for me to take a seat beside him, and I did, not wanting to add on to the tension in the room.

"I have to leave for a business trip today." He said, turning to look at me.

My heart sank a little, I knew I would miss him but I held my tongue and gave a slight nod instead.

He seemed disappointed at my response, or the lack of one, turning back to face the front.

"How long will you be gone for?" I asked.

"5 days."

"Okay," I said awkwardly. I hated how weird it was between us, I hated this imaginary distance our prides had put against each other.

"Take care of yourself, Ara. I'll be back before you know it."

"I will. Take care of yourself too." Only after speaking the words did I realize how silly I must have sounded, he was the strongest vampire in the world. He doesn't need to "take care".

"I love you." He said sincerely, his eyes looking straight into mine.

I bit down on my lip, hesitating if I should tell him that I loved him too. But the words wouldn't come out. After a few moments of silence, he got up looking dejected. Placing a kiss on my forehead, he started walking out.

There was an uneasy feeling in my chest, I knew I would regret it if I didn't do anything. It felt like this would be the last time I'd see him in a while and I didn't want our last farewell to be like this,

So I shot up and ran towards him. Putting down whatever pride I had left in me, I hugged him tightly from the back. "I love you too,"

I heard him let out a sigh of relief as he turned to face me, taking me in his arms and giving me a tight hug. He held my head close to his chest with his hand, kissing my hair. I felt safe, I wanted to melt into him and never let this hug break. Everything that was wrong suddenly felt right, there was nothing more I wanted in this world than to be with him. No matter how wrong it was.

Slowly, he pulled back. His hands cupped my face, tilting it upwards. His grey eyes were dancing with unreadable emotions, staring at my lips. He leaned in, until I could feel his breaths fanning out against my cheeks before he planted his lips softly against mine.

The taste of his lips were addictive, toxic. He kissed me passionately, his arms snaking around my body, holding me tightly against him. His hands rubbed my back, driving me crazy. I wanted more of his kisses, more of his touch, more of him.

I gasped as he lifted me up, walking me over to the bed. Slowly, he laid me down. He hovered his face above mine, a look of adoration on his face before he swooned in again, kissing my lips hard. Then he moved his lips down, leaving a trial of kisses on my neck. Then he sucked on my neck, finding my sweet spots. His touch was driving me insane, and I squirmed in pleasure, biting my lips to prevent myself from moaning.

With his right hand supporting my back, his left hand trailed beneath my shirt, helping me take it off. His fingers left burning tingles in their wake, and every part of my skin yearned to be touched by them. His hand cupped one of my breasts and I let out a soft moan of pleasure. I have never been touched by a man this way, and this wave of new experiences was like the first shot of cocaine.

His right hand unclasped my bra, his lips moving from my neck down to my chest. He traced his tongue down my chest, leaving kisses down the middle. As he was about to take off my bra, realisation hit me like a bucket of ice water. I pushed him off me, grabbing the sheets close to my body as I sat up.

"What's wrong?" Nathaniel asked, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

"I'm sorry..." I mumbled, feeling self conscious. "Now's just not the time."

An awkward silence fell between us. He nodded slowly, "I understand. I'll wait, no matter how long you need." Then he leaned in, giving me a reassuring peck on the cheek.

I gave him a weak smile, still holding the sheets up to my chest.

He sensed my uncomfortableness, "I should probably go."

"Safe travels," I wished him politely.

"I'll see you soon Ara, be good." He held my cheek gently, looking me one more time in the eyes before leaving the room.

I bit down on my bottom lip, my heart felt heavy. He was barely gone and I already missed him.

_____________________________________________________

A short update but i hope you guys enjoyed it! :) Remember to comment and vote, i love you all!

I'm sorry for the grammar and spelling mistakes here and there. All my chapters are unedited, i'll probably only edit them after I finish