Vol. 1 Chapter 13: Rear Echelon

Burduex Mercenary Guild

At the reception area, I'm speaking with Marie, whom felt relieved that we reached a compromise on this unexpected happenings.

"Thankfully, here's your key Mister Liam." (Marie)

I grabbed the key to unlocked the cuffs, an unusual one with purple luster.

"Now? I'm going --." (Liam)

I tried to return to my inn to get my stuff but Marie stopped me.

"Just hold on for a sec, I should give you a short debriefing about the contract." (Marie)

She said it nonchalantly.

"Okay? Should we go back in the room?." (Liam)

"No, let's discuss it here." (Marie)

"Where's the privacy? Other people might hear our conversation you know." (Liam)

I said the consequences if we handle this poorly, it'll possibly disclose the clients identity or mission objectives on the open area like this. That's not how professionals do the job.

"Don't worry, I have a tool which blocks any of our conversations of getting out to outsiders, as long as we are in it's range though." (Marie)

"I see. That's convenient." (Liam)

I didn't know that but sounds impressive.

"Resuming our discussion, you already know your client to protect right?." (Marie)

Yeah, and my fake fiancee for 5 months.

"Then? At the very least, you should know how precious her standing is right?." (Marie)

Hmm? A daughter of a large weapon manufacturer, a royalty, a niece of an archduke. I nodded in response.

"First and foremost, her identity is already compromised." (Marie)

"......" (Liam)

Okay? it's making my job hella difficult.

"Means there's a high possibility of getting attack on convoy towards olandia." (Marie)

"That's a bit..." (Liam)

"I know.... However, we already deployed eight C rank, twenty D rank mercenaries to protect her, also, the adventurers guilds are sending some of their capable B, C and D rank adventurers. There's about 60 mercenary and adventurers who will going to cooperate to protect your client, if we add up the 18 knights escorting your client, we will have 78 combatants on our side ." (Marie)

78? That's sounds a lot I guess? Oh come to think of it.

"Can't we just teleport towards olandia?." (Liam)

I think archbishop said something like teleport tool, if we could use that, all things will go smoothly without worrying of encountering some brigands along the way.

"Unfortunately, it will going to expose her more, there's some type of magic tool capable of manipulating or outright snatch the coordinates and change it towards another predestinated magic circle." (Marie)

So there's hacking and hijacking on this world huh? That's new.

"That's why we're going to stick in this convoy towards the port city, so far the strength of adventurers and mercenaries are not in question but I'd like to give some advice." (Marie)

"Hmm? What about ?." (Liam)

"Don't be so friendly with the adventurers." (Marie)

"Why though?." (Liam)