Chapter 78

Damon took the news well.

He was distraught, at first. Realizing that Stefan and Maddy had allowed him to believe a lie for the longest time. Allowed him to feel an immense guilt when he believed he'd killed both Gail and the baby.

But then, there was relief. And when Maddy showed him a picture of Sarah, he even teared up.

"She looks so much like them," he said, his voice breaking. "She's so big... Hope's gonna look a bit like her."

"She most likely will," agreed Maddy softly.

"So you've never met her?"

"No, never. We've kept tabs on her from afar... she's studying photography at Duke. She's always been a really good student, kind to everyone... we have never wanted her involved in the supernatural world."

"And who else knows about her?"

"Us, and Klaus. Oh, and Jeremy. That girl Kai is dating showed up in our lives because she wanted what Sarah had... the family she never wanted to find." She smacked herself in the forehead. "Which means when Monique turned, she remembered too... but I don't think it's an issue considering the compulsion was only extra safety... she wouldn't have told anyone about Sarah anyway. Aurora knew about her somehow, but given the resources old vampires have... she could have easily tracked where Stefan and I have been sending secret sums of money."

Damon took her hand. "I'll keep the secret. No worries."

"I don't have any worries," she reassured him. "I'm sorry we kept this from you."

"No, it's good you did," murmured Damon. "I have no clue what past-Damon would have done with this information. Nothing good, let me tell you that. I'm better now."

"You are. A lot of us are... it's pretty astounding, thinking back to that day when I showed up at the house while Elena and Ric were there."

Damon chuckled. "Yeah, you hated Elena because of how much she reminded you of Katherine. Now, you're her best friend, her sister-in-law, and your kid's godmother."

"And you and Stefan were soooo in love with her," she teased. "And now you found your true loves in Meredith and Valerie."

"And then you turned Meredith."

"No one ever lets me forget that..."

"Hey, look at you and Rebekah. She tortured you and now you two talk like old friends constantly. One day Meredith will come around. It's harder to form a bond considering she's always working."

"She'll be a good influence on Hope," said Maddy. "Her, Jo, and Elena... three doctors in the family."

Damon snorted. "Your kid isn't gonna end up as a doctor. Nobody in this family aside from them and... well, Jenna... has a job."

"That's not true, Matt works at The Grill and he'll probably own the place someday. He's been working really hard."

"Ew, I just realized he's actually another one of Hope's uncles. Uncle Matty Ratty."

She nudged him. "Don't be mean. He's always been kind to her even if he's not the biggest fan of vampires. Rebekah once told me that Hope fell asleep cuddling next to Matt because he was reading to her and they both just knocked out. He's a good guy. Good uncle. And he'll be a good dad once he and Rebekah have kids."

He shrugged. "Meh, he still bugs the shit out of me. Who's your least favorite in-law? Spill the beans."

"I don't have a least favorite in-law. All of you chose good life partners."