73. if history is dead and gone (then how did we get here)

Sylvie, Mobius was fast to learn, was the Lokiest one of all the Lokis out there; stubborn, annoyingly mischievous, and basically a pain in the ass.

On the bright side, for someone who just had a brush with death, trapped in this endless void, (and was on a vengeful mission, too) she seemed to find their little car ride enjoyable enough.

///

Pairing: Mobius M. Mobius and Sylvie

///

"Sylvie, huh." Mobius said, after he finally managed to lose Alioth, behind the steering wheel of a still-somewhat-functional car, which he managed to steal from the scavengers earlier, before he met and picked up Sylvie. "That's a lovely name. I like it. It's unique."

Sylvie looked at him from behind. And Mobius didn't have to turn to look at her to know she was looking at him with a sign of something opposite of trust on her face. (He could still see her via the rearview mirror.) Understandable. He did chase her like a dog, after all. At least, she trusted him enough to voluntarily jump in the car with him, but that may also have something to do with her not really having a choice, with Alioth trying to swallow her alive, literally.

"I'm —"

"I know who you are," Sylvie said, cutting him off. "You're Agent Mobius M. Mobius."

"Mobius is fine," he said, with a hint of a sigh. "Just Mobius." Mobius thought he ought to ask her how she knew his name, but the fact Sylvie did not ask him how he knew hers, made him think twice. Then he decided to let it go. Of course, she was a Loki: she had her way. And Mobius supposed it wasn't actually that hard for someone to obtain the name of a man in charge of a whole squad pursuing them for years, decades, to be precise.

"So how did you end up in this shit hole, Moby?"

"Mobius —" Mobius sighed.

"Mobius," Sylvie said, corrected herself.

(Mobius didn't really mind being called Moby, though the last person who called him that turned out to be the one thrusting the end of the Pruning Stick against his abdomen, and... well, here he was. Mobius supposed it was safe to say that the wound was still very much fresh. But deep down, he knew the real reason why he was here had nothing to do with D-90.)

"How did you end up in his shit hole?" Mobius turned back to look at Sylvie, answering her question with the exact same question he received.

For a moment, it looked like Sylvie was about to call him out on his bullshit. But then she sighed. Mobius wasn't sure if he imagined it, but she seemed more relaxed, more comfortable being in his presence than he'd have expected her to be, considering their history. "Self pruned," she said, like it was no big deal. "I was told that pruning didn't kill. Instead it brought you... here. To The Void. And here is where I'm gonna get the answer to what I've been searching for; the one behind all of this, behind The TVA, behind my life..." she paused. Her voice started to crack, but only a little, and she got herself together pretty fast. "Behind my life being robbed away from me. I had no reason to believe her words, but I had nothing to lose. So here I am."

Mobius nodded. He thought he could put the pieces together now; what happened after Ravonna had him pruned. He turned back to keep his eyes on the road, his hands reflexively tightened around the wheel at the thoughts of what'd happened; his finding out his life — everything he believed — was merely a lie. The TVA had been lying to him.

"So how about you, Mobius?" Sylvie leaned back a little against her seat. "Don't tell me you pruned yourself just so you could get to me. I mean, I'd respect the dedication, but I was starting to believe your saving me minutes ago was genuine."