chapt 22 • Trapped

"You seem to be in an extremely cheerful mood today" Adam hands me a water bottle and his sage green journal rests in his hands

"Something interesting happened?"

"Nothing but loads of studying" I open the cap of the cold water.

"I've never seen anyone be so joyful about studying, you must be working hard" I try to hide my laugh and manage a nod.

"You have no idea, I've been working extremely hard, it's getting painful" Adam can't tell that I'm talking about something completely different from studying, but technically I am studying.

Studying every way to make Alessio hard.

"Have you started to write something?" His eyes drop to the journal in my hand.

"I have" I open the book to the first pages and see my slight cursive handwriting.

"At first I couldn't and gave up a few times."

"I'm really glad to hear that. You're trying and that's all that matters" His smile was genuine, he didn't ask what I wrote, just appreciated that I tried his method.

"God you seem happier than me" I joke and he laughs and uncrosses his leg.

"Happy that's new, What about it makes you happy?"

"It's kinda a mix, just depends on who I write about. When it's my mother I'm happy, when it's my father, I feel like shit" I play with the black, silk bookmark in the middle of the book.

"Who do you write to?" I ask him, "I mean you have to be writing to someone right?"

"Everyone has someone they wish they could say the world to right?"

"Do you miss them? You speak so highly of them, I don't think I've ever seen your eyes light up like they just did" I point out and he shakes his head.

"Are you interrogating me now?" I let out a small laugh and shrug.

"Maybe I don't want to talk about me anymore, so we'll talk about you besides I do your job better than you do. Don't you think so?" He rolls his eyes.

"If you must know, I do miss them. A lot, as studying pains you, missing them pains me" I don't say anything, prying isn't what I wanted but I did.

"I don't mind telling you Honey, I can read your face right now, and trust me, I don't mind that you asked. We open up to each other, that's how this goes" He reassures, and I just drink from my bottle and close the cap.

"I'm sure they miss you too."

"You're not so bad when you're sympathetic" This time he makes me roll my eyes.

"And you've ruined it" I toss a pen at him and he only leans his head back to laugh, mixing the sound of his laughter with the sound of the timer ringing in both of our ears.