Chapter 13

I ran

I ran.

Away from the balcony, I mean.

I won't run away from Ares, but I sure as hell will hide everything that belongs to me. I don't need him sniffing around.

I was just fine with watching him from afar and being in agony in silence.

All the times I wished that he'd spare me a glance – I take them back. I wish I could turn back time so I could've avoided any possible interaction between us.

Even though I've exposed my heart in most of the lyrics of our album, Melancholy, the lyrics are vague and don't necessarily give away who it's about.

But the poems and lyrics I've been writing lately, have been a bit specific. And they're replies to the songs he wrote.

There's no doubt he'd recognize it.

We're on the bus on the way to Antwerp, where we'll have our next concert tomorrow.

Caleb is going on about this new kind of weed he discovered and that it took him to heaven – his words, not mine.

Violet is sleeping, Delilah is listening to music and Nick is reading a book.

I'm lowly humming a tune to myself, to a song that Vi and I wrote, called Life. We express our love for one another in the song and the level of comfort we have with each other.

How we've never felt more ourselves with anyone else. Vi has never made me feel weird and isn't judgmental. I consider her family, and aside from my actual blood-related family, she's the only person that knows how to calm me down most times.

And vice versa. She says that I'm pure and that there aren't many souls like me wandering around – which I disagree with, but I digress.

I treasure our nights together most. The ones where we lay down and talk for hours on end until we both doze off.

Sometimes we cry while having a mental breakdown and comfort each other. Sometimes we have deep conversations about certain topics or some changes in our life.

Either way, I always enjoy my time with Violet. Even though we sometimes do nothing in each other's company, we still cherish the other's presence.

Vi and I have been talking about performing Life at one of our concerts. The song isn't on the album, but it's released as a single and it might not be a bad idea to perform it.

I look up when Delilah takes off her headphones and goes to get a drink from the fridge.

Looking down, I wonder if I should ask about what I saw the other day. But then again, I don't want to come off as suspicious.

Fuck it.

"Hey, Delilah," I call out and she glances over her shoulder. "Yeah?"

"I heard your voice the other day down the hallway. Who were you talking to?"