1

She was warned about certain kinds of guys that frequented the Dazzle Bar

She was warned about certain kinds of guys that frequented the Dazzle Bar. She was told of their strong will and recklessness. In a nutshell, they were dangerous. They were trouble.

For any decent girl, the Dazzle Bar was a no-go area. She took the warning to heart and made a mental decision never to go there. And she stuck to her decision, until an unprecedented event caused a break in her silent promise, bringing a change in her mellow campus life.

It was the night of Valentine's Day, and the subject of romance was the last thing on Boma's mind. But her roommate wasn't having it.

"Get up, let's go out. Everyone is out connecting." Her roommate Hilda told her impatiently. She was dressed in a pretty decent party dress, her face well-made up. She was ready to leave but would not leave without her.

Boma, a first-year student of arts, had just turned eighteen, and she had spent her first month in the University, settling down. She had no clear goals in life now, apart from passing her exams and enjoying the freedom of living on her own for the first time.

She was an average student and was fine with that. Her middle-class parents expected average results because they knew her capabilities in that regard, so everything was fine.

Stretching herself on the bed, she covered her head with the pillow. "I just want to sleep." She complained. "I'm tired."

Hilda yanked off the pillow, making her sit up with indignation. She glared at Hilda but said nothing.

"Please," Hilda begged. "Let's go. You can't let the university pass through you. You have to pass through the university. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy."

"Hilda, I don't feel like going out."

"You always don't feel like going out. For heaven's sake, it's just to relax at one of the cafeterias around and have a drink. That's all."

"I don't want a drink."

"Fine. Stay here and be boring." Hilda said resignedly. "You like being average. You want to avoid being seen or noticed. You keep to yourself. Furthermore, you don't socialize. If there was a way, I'm sure you would go invincible. Keep being that way. I'm out. See you when I get back." Hilda walked out of the room.

After she was gone, Boma lay back on the bed. The time was 7:00 pm. It was quiet. She was starting to miss Hilda. She wasn't feeling tired anymore. And she was tired of being called boring.

Sitting up on the bed, she decided to go out. Putting on jeans and a blouse, she grabbed a cross-body bag, wore flat sandals, put on lip gloss, poured her hair, and checked the mirror.

Her brown hair framed her oval face perfectly while matching her light-brown eyes.

She called Hilda's number as she left the room, but Hilda didn't pick up. She met several female students who lived in the hostel, all trooping out in small groups.