Chapter 18

Chapter 18: Stones and Feelings

Despite everything that happened last night, we still had breakfast together. Kristan and Lady Tania were discussing harvesting more grapes to produce wines. Meanwhile, Lady Dinah didn't talk much. She didn't even get to finish her food when she excused herself to go and check on Lady Massie, who hadn't left her room yet.

No one bothered to talk about what happened last night. It seemed like we had an unspoken agreement to forget about it, which was favorable for me.

I finished my food without uttering a word. Pagkatapos ng agahan ay nagpasama ulit si Lady Tania kay Kristan sa labas. Naiwan ako sa kusina para magligpit ng mga pinagkainan.

I was in the middle of completing the chores when Lady Dinah entered the kitchen. Kinuha niya ang mga nahugasan kong kasangkapan para punasan.

"How is she?" I asked without throwing a glimpse at her.

Hindi pa rin ako sigurado kung ano ang gusto niyang mangyayari sa hindi pagsuplong sa akin kagabi. Gano'n pa man ay alam kong iba na rin ang tingin niya sa akin.

It took her seconds to respond. "She's reading. Lalabas din 'yon kapag nauhaw."

I nodded. That's good. I was worried that she bawled her eyes out the whole night because of him. Terrence doesn't deserve a single tear from Lady Massie. Hell, he doesn't even deserve to be bothersome to her.

"Finish up and meet me on the backyard," Lady Dinah said after drying the last plate with a towel. She even tapped my shoulder before she left. It's as if she's prompting me not to worry much.

I am not worried at all. Alam ko ang kasalanan ko at alam ko rin kung ano ang maaaring kabayaran noon. I am prepared for whatever she has to say. Damn. I don't even care if she scolds at me or throws hurtful words. I deserve it.

Palabas na sana ako ng kusina nung pumasok naman si Lady Massie. May hawak siyang libro gaya ng sinabi ni Lady Dinah kanina.

"Hey. Where are they?" she asked before taking a seat.

"Doing some errands. Do you want some bread?"

"Sure. And wine, please? Thanks."

Pinagsilbihan ko muna siya kahit na alam kong naghihintay na si Lady Dinah sa likod ng bahay. I prepared some breads on a plate and set it on the table as I poured her some wine.

I took a glimpse of her. She was casually sitting and reading. Or at least that's what my eyes tell me. Just because she isn't showing any sign of breakdown doesn't mean she's absolutely fine.

I sighed as I sat on the chair across. Napatingin siya sa akin saka ngumiti.

"How's your sleep?" I asked.

She bit a small portion of bread and sipped wine to force it down her throat. Everything she does seems forced to me— the attention she's paying to the book, the casual leaning on the chair, and the smile flashing on her lips.

"I don't think I can take some rest for a few days," she said, and that was the only genuine thing she's ever said so far. "That's pretty normal, right?"

I nodded and decided to sit beside her. Kinuha ko sa kanyang kamay ang libro at pinatong sa lamesa saka siya hinarap sa akin. Ilang segundo lang na nawala sa kanya ang paningin ko ay napuno na agad ng luha ang kanyang mga mata.

"I swear I didn't know he's capable of hurting anyone, Lady Nathalia." Her lips quivered in pain. She gripped my hands and squeezed them. "I feel ashamed to you. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry."

"It's not your fault," I told her with a glimpse of anger in my voice. "You shouldn't feel sorry for trusting him. He should be the one to be ashamed for wasting the trust you put in him."