8.6 The Curtain Rises

Ayanokouji POV

August 7th. It was finally time for our short stint on the uninhabited island to come to an end. Our minor saving grace was that we hadn't spent our time rigorously fighting to survive. At least we'd had a moderate amount of fun? There still wasn't any sign of Mashima-sensei or the others, even when the test ended around noon. 

"We're now tallying up the test results. Please wait a moment. Feel free to use the rest area if you would like, or have a drink or even a snack." 

After that announcement, the students gathered together and headed toward the rest area. Underneath the provisional tents, they'd prepared tables and chairs for our use, so we could get comfortable. There were no signs that Kouenji, Horikita, or any of the retired students were waiting on the cruise ship. Sudou, always together with Ike and Yamauchi, looked up at the ship.

"Ayanokouji. You work pretty well with Horikita, don't you? How close are you, really?" Rather than sounding angry or upset, Sudou sounded like he genuinely wanted to know. 

"There's nothing between us. We're just friends. Nothing more, nothing less." 

"Even that makes me jealous, though. I still ain't her friend." Sudou sounded a little frustrated." 

"Well, she's pretty acquainted with Itsuki more than me." I lied by making Itsuki a scapegoat.

"But still you are the only guy she's close to." He grumbled

"Good work, both of you. Thank you for everything you did this week. You really saved us." Hirata appeared with words of gratitude. He handed me one of two paper cups he had. The cup cooled my palm. He handed the other to Sudou. 

"I should be thanking you. You covered for me, the class loner. Also, you covered for me being late for roll call, and the fact that Horikita retired."

"Ah, Kiyotaka, there you are." Miku rushed over to me. It looks like she was feeling better. She quickly rushed over to my side and " Here, you like chocolates, right? Itsuki bought it and gave it to us. She is busy there, so I came here to give yours." gave me a chocolate bar

I took the chocolate tore the cover and ate it. It tasted sweeter than the ones I eat.  It made my expression soften

Silence filled the area, all of them were looking at me. The boys looked with disbelief, Girls were all red and drool was coming from someone's mouth. Miku looked redder than the others.

"What's wrong?" I asked Miku and Hirata. Miku averted her eyes and said "Nothing." While Hirata was giving a wry laugh.

After I finished a bar of chocolate, Miku gave me another and said she doesn't need it.

Then  I saw a rather bizarre sight: Ryuuen alone, the only remaining student from Class C. 

"Why is he...? So Ryuuen-kun didn't retire?" 

While Hirata and Miku figure out the situation, Ryuuen turned toward us, as if he noticed our stares. He slowly drew nearer, as if thinking of something. The tension started to rise. 

"Oh, hey there, sycophants. What happened to Suzune?" said Ryuuen as he drew closer, a paper cup in hand, completely ignoring Hirata's presence.

 After Sudou heard the name "Suzune" cross Ryuuen's lips, the veins in his head bulged, and he shot Ryuuen a glare.

"I know you've been chasing Suzune's ass. We were together before, you know." Ryuuen, having drained the contents of his paper cup, lightly crushed it and threw it at my feet. "Throw that away for me."

 Sudou trampled on and kicked the paper cup as hard as he could. "What a stupid thing to say. Huh? Pick up your own trash, jerk." 

"But picking up garbage seems like the perfect task for garbage." Ryuuen didn't show any signs that he cared, in contrast to Sudou, who looked ready to blow his stack.