Vol 2 Ch 8: Tug of War.

Hirano pov:-

We all lined up in order according to Ryueen's instructions. Since the BC coalition are not cooperating, we ended up dividing our forces up cleanly on basis of our class. Class C is taking charge of the rope up front but compared to the DA coalition that's lined up in order of height in descending order from the front, we have adopted the complete opposite
strategy.

But since our Class B is lining up randomly, starting from their
center, it fell apart. At the end of the line, for what it's worth, well- built students were holding the rope but...I can't shake the feeling that it's backasswards.

However, a problem emerged for the DA coalition before any of that. Contrary to Class D, who were attempting to line up as such, almost half of the boys in Class A made no move at all.

"Hey, Katsuragi-kun. I'd rather you not arrogantly take charge forever---".

Such a voice could be heard and without even having to look.

".....what do you mean, Hashimoto".

The student named Hashimoto took a step forward. Now that I got a better look at him, He's a tall, aloof man with his long hair swept behind the back of his head. He had a meek expression on his face but his eyes were those of
someone mocking his opponent.

"It's exactly what it sounds like. Isn't it your fault that Class A is currently stalling? Can you say with certainty that this strategy will allow us to win?".

A student has appeared to directly oppose the leader, Katsuragi.

From Katsuragi's heightened state of alert, I doubt this student named Hashimoto is acting alone. But---the timing is strange.

While everyone was focused on Katsuragi and Hashimoto, I looked back towards our camp and searched for Sakayanagi.

Sakayanagi, who had been there observing us from the start as a visitor, had a small smile of enjoyment on her face. Even from a distance, she should be able to see that the boys were quarrelling.

But the fact that she's still smiling despite that could only mean
one thing.

It's that the one who created this situation is not Hashimoto, it's Sakayanagi. I had wondered what kind of trap she would be setting up for Katsuragi.

I wonder if it means that instead of winning the class competitions she's only intending on crushing Katsuragi, her opposition.

But this is far too inefficient. This is eerie in a different sense from Ryuuen.

"So what's it going to be, Katsuragi-kun? Can we really win with this strategy?".

Despite the betrayal of his comrades, without being thrown into disarray from it, Katsuragi answered that.

"We're agitating even the students from Class D. We should proceed with the contest calmly".

"That's not an answer---".

Katsuragi tried to calm them down but about half of the students following Hashimoto's lead did not obey.

"Katsuragi-san's telling you lot to do it, so hurry it up! Don't give us this shameful act! May I remind you that you guys are the reason that we lost the island exam! Now grab the rope and do as Katsuragi says!"

In the midst of that, Yahiko from the Katsuragi faction raised his voice towards the Sakayanagi faction and forcibly handed the rope to one of the boys.

"I have no intention of refuting the doubts you feel towards my leadership. But if we lose here due to our meaningless squabbling, before things like cooperation and skill come up, the blame will fall on Sakayanagi, you don't mind that then?".