22

Jeon Jungkook never sulked. Never.

He was a man who on no account let the world see his true feelings and a man who knew exactly how to keep them in check. Because if you let your emotions run too wild, you would lose sight of logic. Your heart was an idiot. Only your brain could see the truth.

That is why he was totally not sulking in his hospital bed, contemplating life and the cold-heartedness of a certain woman until Ahn Heiran showed up at his hospital room with an assortment of fresh fruits and a flurry of apologies.

10 minutes later when she finally managed to calm down, Heiran hesitantly looked around the room before she pursed her lips and asked, pointing at the bandage on his head, "Does it hurt?"

"Are you worried about me?" Jungkook questioned brushing his unruly hair back and she instantly dismissed the statement, hiding the concern from her voice.

"Of course not!" Heiran exclaimed but then seemed to think twice, "Well, I admit I'm a little worried for you as your partner."

Jungkook muffled a satisfied grin. Concern. That was a good look on Ahn Heiran. But only when it was for him.

"It's just a minor concussion, partner. I'll be out of here in no time. You should've seen the other guy though. He was almost completely floored." Jungkook informed reassuringly, making a gesture with his hand to emphasize his point.

"I–" Heiran's eyes went downcast in guilt but she tried to hide it with her attitude anyway in vain "I didn't mean to be so cruel. I'm truly sorry if it looked like that to you. You must've felt so betrayed to send me that text. Trust me if I had known, I would've rushed—"

"Wait, Ms. Ahn. What text?" Jungkook questioned frowning.

"You texted me that I was cruel," Heiran answered, wide-eyed.

...

"I sent you that?" he balked, hurrying to check his phone. Heiran held out her hands in caution at his sudden movement as if she was afraid he would hurt himself if he moved too much. Heart fluttering, Jungkook noted the gesture through his peripherals as he clicked open his message app to find out in horror that he had indeed sent her the text.

It was an involuntary act on his part yesterday in a moment of weakness when he was lying all alone at the emergency department late at night, pondering about the brutality of his fate. He collected his wits, seeing her confused expression. "Um, that was an accident. Please don't take it the wrong way. I really didn't mean anything by it—"

"No, I deserve it. I was heartless to you. You had helped me out once when I was in danger and when the same thing happened to you, I didn't even answer your call. That was indeed horrible. I admit it and I'm truly sorry. I'm not that heartless of a person, Mr. Jeon, I hope you know that."

"Ah, yeah..." Jungkook muttered distractedly moving his head the other way, wondering in terror just how badly did he hurt his head to have actually sent her the message.

Suddenly, Heiran released a soft gasp as her gaze fell on the recent injury at the left side of his cheek and she raised her hand as if to almost touch it but when Jungkook turned around, her fingers grazed his cheek, right below the cut. "Did they have a weapon?"

He felt himself stiffen at the gentle touch as she leaned forward, her eyes scrutinizing the cut in deep thought. The cocoa brown of her irises reflected the dazed expression of his face in them. Something in his gut squeezed and he sensed his heart beginning to thump loudly against his chest. He wondered if she could hear it.

"It looks like it might scar," Heiran murmured under her breath, lost in observation.

"Yeah..." he breathed out, his sights on her when Heiran's gaze locked with his, and it stayed there for a brief heart-stirring moment before her eyes widened in realization how inappropriate her little gesture must have been. Quickly, she sprung back, making an awkward noise at the back of her throat and averting her gaze. "Uh–um, sorry. So, what happened?"